cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which one to upgrade first? CIMC or DNAC?

jegan_rajappa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, My production DNAC is running 2.1.2.6 and i am planning to upgrade it to 2.2.2.3, while I read DNAC 2.2.2.3 release notes, I noticed that it required CIMC version 4.1(1h), currently my DNAC (UCS server) is in CIMC 4.0(4b).

Do I need to upgrade CIMC first before upgrading DNAC or other way?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CIMC is first personally and then DNAC.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-A few things to consider:  If you look at the release notes for 2.2.2.x is states 4.1(1h) as the minimum supported.  Then if you peep the 2.1.2.x release notes 4.0(4b) is the minimum, but later versions are also supported.  However, the release notes does state the following: Do not update later than Cisco IMC 4.0(4b), unless you update to 4.0(4k) or later.  So as @balaji.bandi mentioned I would also do firmware first, then DNAC.  In your case I would move directly to 4.1(1h), and then upgrade DNAC.  I would suggest opening a ticket with TAC DNAC/UCS teams just in case you hit any issues, and to get their approval.

For more detail take a look at the release notes for each respective version (current/to-be):

Release Notes for Cisco DNA Center, Release 2.1.2.x - Cisco

Release Notes for Cisco DNA Center, Release 2.2.2.x - Cisco

HTH!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade CIMC first before DNAC.  I also recommend going to 4.1(1h). 

NOTE:  When upgrading the CIMC, whatever good intentions there are, DO NOT READ the Cisco instructions about CIMC upgrade because the instructions are incomplete and confusing.  

@Rasika Nayanajith has a well-written instruction/guide about CIMC Upgrade

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CIMC is first personally and then DNAC.

BB

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-A few things to consider:  If you look at the release notes for 2.2.2.x is states 4.1(1h) as the minimum supported.  Then if you peep the 2.1.2.x release notes 4.0(4b) is the minimum, but later versions are also supported.  However, the release notes does state the following: Do not update later than Cisco IMC 4.0(4b), unless you update to 4.0(4k) or later.  So as @balaji.bandi mentioned I would also do firmware first, then DNAC.  In your case I would move directly to 4.1(1h), and then upgrade DNAC.  I would suggest opening a ticket with TAC DNAC/UCS teams just in case you hit any issues, and to get their approval.

For more detail take a look at the release notes for each respective version (current/to-be):

Release Notes for Cisco DNA Center, Release 2.1.2.x - Cisco

Release Notes for Cisco DNA Center, Release 2.2.2.x - Cisco

HTH!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade CIMC first before DNAC.  I also recommend going to 4.1(1h). 

NOTE:  When upgrading the CIMC, whatever good intentions there are, DO NOT READ the Cisco instructions about CIMC upgrade because the instructions are incomplete and confusing.  

@Rasika Nayanajith has a well-written instruction/guide about CIMC Upgrade

jegan_rajappa
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks @balaji.bandi @Mike.Cifelli @Leo Laohoo 

Cisco TAC also advised to upgrade CIMC first, I will give a try in lab today and switch DNAC to 2.2.2.3.

I will share my experience soon.

Sure that how it need to go, input any issue..if all ok mark as resolved. Cheers!

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just upgraded CIMC (DN2-HW-APL-XL) from 4.0(4d) to 4.1(1h) and upgrade time took about 25 minutes.  

jegan_rajappa
Level 1
Level 1

CIMC upgrade went well for me too in lab and production, thanks all for your inputs!

Did you choose to upgrade the storage drives in the HUU ?

Thanks

I just clicked 'Update & Activate All' button