Views
Helpful
Replies

bulk pnp onboarding with template variables

Bothwalker
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

i am testing the device onboarding with plug and play and ran into some issues. 

my day-0 template has some variables like management ip, etc.

the field is called mgmt_ip.

when i add a device via the bulk import and a csv file is it possible to add this variable to the file so that i do not have to configure the ip by hand when claiming the device?

Cheers

Mathias

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You won't do it during bulk import.  Instead, use the "Import" feature during the Claim workflow.  in the Advanced Configuration step of that workflow, there will be Import/Export links in the upper-right once you click on one of the templates on the left column.  First, Export the sample file and then fill it in with all the devices and variables that you want, following the format of the sample.  You can add devices that you plan to Claim later and keep using the same file.  Once you import it, it will look through and populate the variables for that template for all the devices you are claiming.

Note that you can pre-Claim a device that is in PnP Inventory, even if it hasn't yet contacted Cisco DNA-C.  In this scenario, once device boots and phones home to Cisco DNA-C the onboarding will automatically continue since you've already told it what config to use.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You won't do it during bulk import.  Instead, use the "Import" feature during the Claim workflow.  in the Advanced Configuration step of that workflow, there will be Import/Export links in the upper-right once you click on one of the templates on the left column.  First, Export the sample file and then fill it in with all the devices and variables that you want, following the format of the sample.  You can add devices that you plan to Claim later and keep using the same file.  Once you import it, it will look through and populate the variables for that template for all the devices you are claiming.

Note that you can pre-Claim a device that is in PnP Inventory, even if it hasn't yet contacted Cisco DNA-C.  In this scenario, once device boots and phones home to Cisco DNA-C the onboarding will automatically continue since you've already told it what config to use.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: