cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can DNA tell me (natively) which ports on which switches are statically configured in an IP Pool?

matty-boy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Is there any way that DNA can tell me which ports are statically configured (via DNA host onboarding) in a specific IP Pool?

The reason for asking is that we have a large SDA deployment (several hundred switches) and we need to remove an IP pool that we believe is no longer used.

Alas, we can't because at least 1 port is statically assigned to that pool so when you try to delete the pool, DNA says you can't. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you where that pool is in use - which switch(es) and which port(s).

I know we can use the native command runner to do something like a "show int status | inc XXX" (the vlan) but I can only query 20 switches at once. Not the end of the world but not ideal.

I also know it could query the command runner API using a Python script to do something similar but I wondered if DNA could tell us this somewhere natively?

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you looking to find the MAC address of the device where it is connected? using any scripting? or IP that connected to what port?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

matty-boy
Level 1
Level 1

HI BB,

I want to find all fabric edge switch ports that are statically configured in an IP pool (the port is probably not even up/up).

Aninda Chatterjee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the DNAC GUI, under Fabric -> Host Onboarding, there is an option to filter ports using voice pools or data pools (or exact interface name) or match-all. Would that not do the trick (if you select the appropriate data/voice pool)?

At the same time, I do see the need to return (in bulk), all statically configured ports and I've had to do this for customers before (for example - you may have started off with simple static bulk assignments for pre-production with open auth and now you want to move back to closed auth as you move into production). I wrote a script for this which can be found here - https://github.com/aninchat/sda_no_auth_ports/blob/main/sda_no_auth_interfaces.py

It is easy enough to modify this to return all statically configured ports as well (excluding the open auth check). Let me know if this is something you need - I can add a VLAN option to the script and you can get all ports statically mapped to a specific VLAN in one shot.

Hi Aninda,

Thank you for the idea of setting the filter in host onboarding, I didn't realise the filter would persist as you click on each switch so this is definitely a step in the right directly and will do the job in the short term while still requiring a click per switch.

I REALLY like your script!

If you could add the Vlan option, that would be amazing!!

I wonder if it will required any tweaking to copy with more than 100 returned devices? I guess I'll find out

Have you added your work to the DevNet DNA code exchange?

Thank you so much,

Matt.

If you could add the Vlan option, that would be amazing!!

Absolutely - I can ask for user input in the script and just use it in a regex to search for statically configured ports for that VLAN.

I wonder if it will required any tweaking to copy with more than 100 returned devices? I guess I'll find out

I think it would really come down any potential API throttling. We had moved up most of our GET APIs to 100/min in 2.1.2.x and our POST APIs to 50/min. I don't think you should hit any issues but if you do, please feel free to DM me and I can take a look.

Have you added your work to the DevNet DNA code exchange?

Thank you so much,

Matt.

Not yet, but I certainly can. Thank you!

You're a star Aninda! Thank you! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: