cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can DNAC send email alerts when its own System Performance thresholds have been reached?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello

A customer has asked me how they would know if DNAC is reaching the limits (e.g. see below - 10,000 devices / 25,000 concurrent endpoints for a regular 2nd gen appliance). 

dnac-limits.PNG

By way of comparison, Cisco ISE has a neat Alarm configuration option that sends emails/SYSLOGs for very specific System events. It's very handy, e.g. to know in advance that your SSL certs are about to expire. DNAC should have this too in my opinion. But other things like high CPU and disk warnings are also part of the basic setup.

I had a look at all the pretty DNAC Appstack/Kibana dashboards but could not find an email alerting option.

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Arne Bier AFAIK there is currently no option for this so I agree with @ChuckMcF .  This is going off of knowledge from a DNAC cluster running 1.3.3.5.  However, I can tell you that there are events you can subscribe to to get email alerts.  The list of currently available options are located under Settings->Events and Subscriptions.  Lastly, for chassis related logging you have some fault syslog alerts you can setup to send to remote targets that could then potentially email you.  For chassis related logging/emails login to CIMC and go to Chassis->Faults and Logs and you will be able to see what I am referencing.  HTH!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

I am not aware of any way to monitor the physical hardware via DNAC however I did put in a "Make a Wish" for that function. Please do the same since the more requests there are the higher priority it is to the BU. 

In the meantime you can use the MIBs listed in this link to monitor the physical DNAC server.

Hope this is helpful,

Chuck McFadden

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Arne Bier AFAIK there is currently no option for this so I agree with @ChuckMcF .  This is going off of knowledge from a DNAC cluster running 1.3.3.5.  However, I can tell you that there are events you can subscribe to to get email alerts.  The list of currently available options are located under Settings->Events and Subscriptions.  Lastly, for chassis related logging you have some fault syslog alerts you can setup to send to remote targets that could then potentially email you.  For chassis related logging/emails login to CIMC and go to Chassis->Faults and Logs and you will be able to see what I am referencing.  HTH!

Hi Mike

what do you select when the Subscribe dialog asks for "Select an existing endpoint" or "Create a new endpoint" - what's an endpoint ?

I just created a random item and selected it. It seemed to work.

thanks

regards

You can create and endpoint for "All Events" using that same endpoint or you can create individual Endpoints per event.  The per event gives the flexibility for different destinations.  Or you can create multiple subscriptions.

I created a Networking Blog on this Topic.

Technote of the day (TOTD) -- How to setup & test Event Subscriptions on the Cisco DNA Center?
https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-blogs/technote-of-the-day-totd-how-to-setup-amp-test-event/ba-p/4143578

I added one example there and I will add another shortly.

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to what has already been mentioned.  There is a new System Health Notification feature that is integrated with the CIMC and other External Service Integrations which can be monitored.  Then you can subscribe to these events for notification via SYSLOG, REST, SNMP, and EMAIL.

You will see the feature in the Release version 2.1.1.x and 2.1.2.x and later.  There is no exact date for this release but you should see it available in the coming weeks.

System.Settings--SystemHealthNotifications_01.png

System.Settings--SystemHealthNotifications_02.png

System.Settings--SystemHealthNotifications_03.png

System.Settings--SystemHealthNotifications_04.png

System.Settings--SystemHealthNotifications_05.png

System.Settings--SystemHealthNotifications_06.png

  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: