cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't provision template to Catalyst 9300 running IOS XE 16.12.04

west33637
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. I could not provision a template to my 9300 running IOS XE 16.12.04. It did not work because the DNAC has the 9300 with the code 16.12.04 defined as device family - (switches and hubs WLC capable) instead of (switches and hubs). In earlier code versions the 9300 was described as just (switches and hubs). This description change was enough to make the DNAC bypass my template, because its programmed to only allow the template to be applied for device family - (switches and Hubs). Is there a work around? Has anyone run into this?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've not had this issue before and I'm running a large number of Cat 9300s running 16.12.04 which are listed in the inventory with a device family of 'Switches and Hubs (WLC Capable)'. From my understanding, the change in device family type (when DNAC detects that the switch is capable of running eWLC) should not change the way that you need to configure or provision the templates

Can you check that your template and network profile is setup as follows? Templates with these settings should apply to both WLC Capable and Non WLC Capable Catalyst 9300s. 

Under Templates set the Device Type to 'Switches and Hubs -> Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches -> Cisco Catalyst 9300 Switch'. Set the Software Type to 'IOS-XE'

Under the Network Switching Profile -> Day-N Template, set the Device Type to 'Cisco Catalyst 9300 Switch, no Tag and then select your template.

When you provision the switch, you should see the template appear under Step 2 Advanced Configuration (with a green tick to confirm that it ready for provisioning)

Scottishcarrot
Level 1
Level 1

Are you tagging the software version on the template? I would recommend just tagging the software type as IOS-XE and wouldn't set the software version (unless absolutely needed).

Also I'd suggest what willwetherman mentioned as well as checking your template (or sequence) tags are showing up correctly in the network profile and the same tags are applied to the switch in inventory before Provisioning it.

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

I didnt face this issue for Cisco 9300 with IOS XE 16.12.04. It may possible of something else.

Regards

Inderdeep Singh

www.thenetworkdna.com 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: