cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat9K question - E and A model hardware, licensing and being "DNA C ready"

Doug Thompson
Level 4
Level 4

The hardware SKUs for the 9300s (will use a 48p PoE switch as an example) seem to be the same from a cost perspective.

For example, a C9300-48P-A is the same list price as a C9300-48P-E.

However, the E model hardware is limited in CCW by the licensing allowed to be added. DNA Essentials is the only option that can be added.

If an A model is selected instead (same list price), the licensing options change to either DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage.

If a customer isn't ready just yet for DNA Center and SD-Access, but may want to move that way in the future, it seems like you need A model hardware and DNA Advantage at a minimum just to make a network "DNA ready". My understanding is that DNA Essentials has limited functionality in the DNAC world; i.e. - "base" automation and monitoring. It isn't clear whether DNA Essentials supports the policy based automation and assurance although SD Access is supposed to create an overlay network that is independent of the underlying infrastructure/network.

I don't see anyway to upgrade a 9300 essentials model to DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage down the road to be DNA capable.

Are we positioning for failure if we use E model hardware and DNA Essential licensing?

Isn't it the A and E model equipment the same hardware (UADP 2.0, etc)?

It doesn't seem like DNA Essentials = DNA Center capable (from a design, provisioning and policy perspective much less assurance).

Am I missing something here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Doug,

Let's see if I can address all three posts at once ....

Comment : "I don't see anyway to upgrade a 9300 essentials model to DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage down the road to be DNA capable."

Reply : We are working on upgrade SKUs fto address this.

Question: "Are we positioning for failure if we use E model hardware and DNA Essential licensing?"

Answer: No. See abive Reply.

Question: "Isn't it the A and E model equipment the same hardware (UADP 2.0, etc)?"

Answer: Yes, the hardware is identical.

Comment: : "It doesn't seem like DNA Essentials = DNA Center capable (from a design, provisioning and policy perspective much less assurance)."

Reply: DNA Center does support systems with the DNA Essentials license. See https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/digital-network-architecture/at-a-glance-c45-739599.pdf and / or https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/software/one-wireless-subscription/dna-licensing-access-subscripti… .

Comment: " I realize that the 9300-x-E (Essentials) is the equivalent to LAN Base - i.e. L2 only"

Reply: DNA Essentials includes OSPF Routed Access, EIGRP Stub and PIM-Stub. Starting with IOS XE 16.6.1, these features were moved into the LAN Base feature set for Cat 3650 and 3850 platforms as well.

Comment: "My point, or question actually, is that it seems, even if I am L2 at my access layer, I may still need to position A model (L3) hardware in order to get full DNA Center compatibility/functionality via either DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage licensing."

Reply: Addressed in previous replies.

Comment: "If I go with E model (L2) hardware, and thus DNA Essentials licensing, because I don't need L3 services at the edge, I am potentially cutting my own wrists down the road if I wish to later deploy DNAC to do policy, provisioning, automation and assurance (whenever NDP comes out)."

Reply: Upgrading from Essentials to Advantage does not involve a hardware change 9which Is what I think you are implying here).

Comment: "CCW would even seem to suggest that selecting 'E' model hardware is not a good choice (see attached screen shots)"

Reply: I agree this is not worded in the best possible way. I will alert the Product Management team to see if they can make a change.

I hope that addresses all your questions and comments.

Thanks for the valuable feedback with the screenshots.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Doug Thompson
Level 4
Level 4

I realize that the
9300-x-E (Essentials) is the equivalent to LAN Base - i.e. L2 only (and DNA Essentials is the only licensing available)

and likewise the

9300-x-A (Advantage) is the equivalent of what used to be IP Base/IP Services - i.e. L3 only.(and will use either DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage licensing)

My point, or question actually, is that it seems, even if I am L2 at my access layer, I may still need to position A model (L3) hardware in order to get full DNA Center compatibility/functionality via either DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage licensing.

If I go with E model (L2) hardware, and thus DNA Essentials licensing, because I don't need L3 services at the edge, I am potentially cutting my own wrists down the road if I wish to later deploy DNAC to do policy, provisioning, automation and assurance (whenever NDP comes out).

This all for creating an overlay network that is supposed to be independent of the underlying infrastructure (for the most part).

Is that a fair assessment, dare I say 'assumption'?

It almost seems like you need C9xxx-n-A hardware and DNA Advantage everywhere at a minimum.

CCW would even seem to suggest that selecting 'E' model hardware is not a good choice (see attached screen shots)CCW E model.JPG

CCW E model pt2.JPG@

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Doug,

Let's see if I can address all three posts at once ....

Comment : "I don't see anyway to upgrade a 9300 essentials model to DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage down the road to be DNA capable."

Reply : We are working on upgrade SKUs fto address this.

Question: "Are we positioning for failure if we use E model hardware and DNA Essential licensing?"

Answer: No. See abive Reply.

Question: "Isn't it the A and E model equipment the same hardware (UADP 2.0, etc)?"

Answer: Yes, the hardware is identical.

Comment: : "It doesn't seem like DNA Essentials = DNA Center capable (from a design, provisioning and policy perspective much less assurance)."

Reply: DNA Center does support systems with the DNA Essentials license. See https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/digital-network-architecture/at-a-glance-c45-739599.pdf and / or https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/software/one-wireless-subscription/dna-licensing-access-subscripti… .

Comment: " I realize that the 9300-x-E (Essentials) is the equivalent to LAN Base - i.e. L2 only"

Reply: DNA Essentials includes OSPF Routed Access, EIGRP Stub and PIM-Stub. Starting with IOS XE 16.6.1, these features were moved into the LAN Base feature set for Cat 3650 and 3850 platforms as well.

Comment: "My point, or question actually, is that it seems, even if I am L2 at my access layer, I may still need to position A model (L3) hardware in order to get full DNA Center compatibility/functionality via either DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage licensing."

Reply: Addressed in previous replies.

Comment: "If I go with E model (L2) hardware, and thus DNA Essentials licensing, because I don't need L3 services at the edge, I am potentially cutting my own wrists down the road if I wish to later deploy DNAC to do policy, provisioning, automation and assurance (whenever NDP comes out)."

Reply: Upgrading from Essentials to Advantage does not involve a hardware change 9which Is what I think you are implying here).

Comment: "CCW would even seem to suggest that selecting 'E' model hardware is not a good choice (see attached screen shots)"

Reply: I agree this is not worded in the best possible way. I will alert the Product Management team to see if they can make a change.

I hope that addresses all your questions and comments.

Thanks for the valuable feedback with the screenshots.

As long as there is a migration path to take E model hardware to Advantage licensing somewhere down the road when the customer is more ready for DNAC, I am good with that.

I think the key to this is "we are working on upgrade SKUs to address this."

I could not find a way to do that currently however. Is that correct? There is no way to upgrade E model hardware running DNA Essentials to either DNA Advantage or C1 Advantage at the moment? But a path IS being worked on?

I just want to make sure I am understanding that there is a path in the works. The lack of being able to do so today is what led me to many of the above conclusions.

ETA: I realize DNA Essentials allows DNAC to do the base automation, etc. I think the real power of DNAC and where most people will see the value in it is in the policy aspects of easy GUI based overlay creation for segmentation, which DNA Essentials does not (???) allow and requires at a minimum DNA Advantage, correct? This was the real motivation factor for the question.

Erich Schommarz
Level 1
Level 1

Actually this question was answered. Have heard that the SKU is now available for upgrading Cat9300 Essential Switches to Cat9300 Advantage Switches.

But I can't find anything about this. Does anybody else have some information for the community about this topic?

Doug Thompson
Level 4
Level 4

There is a license upgrade SKU C9300-LIC= that should take care of this.

Electronic DNA Upgrade License for C9300 switches. Note: when upgrading from DNA Essentials to DNA Advantage, Network Essentials is also upgraded to Network Advantage

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/datasheet-c78-738977.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco