Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNA

latenaite2011
Level 4
Level 4

Hi everyone,

I have a customer that is looking to replace Solarwinds  (NPM and configuration manager) with Cisco DNA.  Just wondering if this would be a good replacement and if DNA would provide all the same features and functionality as Solarwinds plus more.  

Is there a demo/evaluation version for Cisco DNA and training for customer to take?

Lastly, customer is looking for a good method to push IOS upgrade for Cisco Catalyst images 9300 series at their branch offices and they have T1 circuits bundled up to a max of 10MB.  They would like to be able to upgrade this remotely without having to be on site to use a USB to speed up the process.    They have several remote locations.  Let me know if there is any suggestions for this.

thanks in advance,

Paula

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a customer that is looking to replace Solarwinds  (NPM and configuration manager) with Cisco DNA.  Just wondering if this would be a good replacement and if DNA would provide all the same features and functionality as Solarwinds plus more.  

- BB - I do not believe DNAC is 100% SolarWinds,  DNAC is an orchestration/Management tool, not pure NMS (it does not support 3rd party vendors' devices for now).

Is there a demo/evaluation version for Cisco DNA and training for customers to take?

- BB  - you can requet for demo kit with Cisco partner they can offer you, or you can use dCloud to test

- if you have a server with 44 CPU - 256GB RAM you can try installing DNAC (officially not supported, but works).

Lastly, customer is looking for a good method to push IOS upgrade for Cisco Catalyst images 9300 series at their branch offices and they have T1 circuits bundled up to a max of 10MB.  They would like to be able to upgrade this remotely without having to be on site to use a USB to speed up the process.    They have several remote locations.  Let me know if there is any suggestions for this. 

-BB - SWIM is a good to use case, hot patching ( again look at the requirement of latency)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

For the question on Solarwinds, I encourage you to reach out to your Cisco Sales Representative.  Cisco DNA is designed a bit differently than other network management systems, so it's not always an apples to apples comparison.  You also can see some demos delivered by our Customer Success team (we call them Ask The Expert sessions): https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/cisco-dna-ask-the-experts - look for "Intent Based Networking" and "Assurance" keywords.

For the branch office upgrades, Cisco DNA uses "copy https:<fileserver> flash:" to transfer the file to the network device.  In the latest release you can specific a remote file server, so if you can build a file server at the branch site, then you only need to transfer the image over the WAN once!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Have a look at a current DNAC Promo:  Free Cisco DNA Center Appliance with Qualifying Subscription Purchase (promo ends 29 January 2022). 

2.  Read the DNAC Data Sheet

3.  Talk to the Cisco AM/SE because this promo only provides the "smallest" model.  If the AM/SE gets involved there is a chance the model can be upgraded to an "XL". 

4.  Before turning the DNAC appliance on, update the CIMC first.

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Adding some additional information/opinions:

-IMHO DNAC assurance is still maturing and has a little way to go.  However, I can tell you from being involved with DNAC since early releases in the 1.x train and now on 2.1.2.5 that it has evolved immensely.  You mentioned 'all the same features and functionality as Solarwinds plus more': I would be lying to you if I said DNAC will give you all the same features and functionality plus more.  However, I do think DNAC is making its way toward this request but cannot speak specifically on the road-mapped features that would relate to DNAC and SW similarities.  Your best bet here would be to engage Cisco reps on this one.

Is there a demo/evaluation version for Cisco DNA and training for customers to take?

@Leo Laohoo and @balaji.bandi already covered this one.  IMO your best bet is getting your hands on at least one physical appliance.  The VM idea is resource intensive and from what I have read/heard does not work as well so ideally this would not be the best option.  Again, just my opinion here.

As @balaji.bandi mentioned, look into SWIM and latency reqs.  

Sharing some other good resources that may assist:

Campus Software Image Management (SWIM) Using Cisco DNA Center Deployment Guide

Cisco SD-Access Fabric Resources - Cisco Community

Cisco IBNG Enterprise Networking Validated Design and Deployment Guides - Cisco Community

Cisco SD-Access Solution Design Guide (CVD) - Cisco

*Also, moving this to DNAC thread to get more DNAC specific visibility.  Good luck & HTH!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@latenaite2011 wrote:

I have a customer that is looking to replace Solarwinds  (NPM and configuration manager) with Cisco DNA.

First off, DNAC is not NPM and NPM is not DNAC.  Period.  DNAC is a (slight) improvement of Prime Infrastructure:  Same rigid reports, same maps display.  

Next, while NPM is a matured product, DNAC & NPM are different beasts and have different features and functionalities.  One of the biggest "gotchas" to be careful about is the platform support with DNAC and/or NPM.  Because NPM is "vendor agnostic" it will support a lot of products/manufacturers including (OLD) Cisco appliances that are not supported by DNAC.  And DNAC does not "support" everything Cisco:  Only a handful of routers, switches, 9800 WLC and wireless access points (APs).  DNAC will not support Unified Comms, ASA/FTD, etc.  

Next, read the DNAC Data Sheet and pay close attention to the scale (Table 14).

Finally, if you know anyone who has DNAC installed (and on the network), have a look at their deployment.  

Hope this helps.