Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA and ISE integration problem

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello community,

We are having troubles doing the DNA and ISE integration, when we add the ISE in the DNA center all looks good and the device show the "ACTIVE" state, but I never see the client in pxGrid services, so ISE nevers see the DNA center as a client. In the Trusted Certificate from ISE I can see the DNA Center certificates, you have to know that DNA Center and ISE are in different domains, does that means?

All help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

17 Replies 17

Hi Diana,

Please check the pxgrid settings whether it is kept as auto approval or not. Are you using self signed certificate or CA signed certificate.If CA signed,Both ISE & DNA-C certificate should be signed by same CA.Also please share the DNA-C and ISE version.

-Aravind

I have the same issue, in my case :
- pxGRID is not in auto approval.
- On AAA server configuration in DNA, DNA briefly displays an error saying "expected trust phrase was not received" and the ISE server's status is "FAILED" until i refresh the page, then the status is "ACTIVE", as if the operation worked.
- In System 360 page, i see ISE as available, but pxGRID as unavailable.

- ISE uses a self-signed certificate for pxGRID.

- DNA uses the default certificate, no changes were made.

- ISE version 2.3

- DNA version 1.1.7

thank you in advance,
regards

If you see ISE server under System Settings -> Settings -> Authentication and Policy servers as ACTIVE , but under System 360 page you see PXgrid unavailable then you may want to raise a TAC case to fix this issue. there few known issues which TAC can help you with resolving those. 

Unfortunately, opening a TAC case is not an option for me because this is a lab environment where the DNA center (and all related licenses) belong to a client, so i cannot use them for my own purpose. Additionally, the ISE appliance belongs to my organization but it is only used for lab environment so it is not licensed for technical support.

If they have DNAC purchased, they by default have solution support provided. You should have a contract ID and serial number of DNAC appliance and can open case.

In any case, could you please run command : “magctl service logs -r pxgrid > pxgrid.log” in DNAC CLI. This will create a file named as pxgrid.log under path : /home/maglev/pxgrid.log

Please provide this file.

I will see what i can do about the TAC case. In the meantime, here is the file you requested.

EDIT : The file is about 20k lines long, so i inspected it in order to save time. As far as i can see, my issue probably comes from this error :

2018-10-23 13:33:11,437 |  ERROR | pool-1-thread-5           | identity-manager-pxgrid-service | c.c.e.i.u.PxGridConfigurationUtils | An error occurred while retrieving PxGrid endpoint certificate. Request: PUT https://10.168.196.30:9060/ers/config/endpointcert/certRequest HTTP/1.1, Response: HttpResponseProxy{HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found [Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate, Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT, Set-Cookie: JSESSIONIDSSO=3EC28AEC8FF84BDA51E91F8A8BC64DF0; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, Set-Cookie: APPSESSIONID=E94B33C31882712A6891E5C12E615CFE; Path=/ers; Secure; HttpOnly, Pragma: no-cache, Internal Server Error: Unexpected Exeption:: 500, Content-Length: 0, Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:33:11 GMT, Server:  ] [Content-Length: 0,Chunked: false]} | 
2018-10-23 13:33:11,438 |  ERROR | pool-1-thread-5           | identity-manager-pxgrid-service | c.c.e.i.u.PxGridConfigurationUtils | Error retrieving PxGrid endpoint certificate from ISE | 
com.cisco.enc.identitymanager.exceptions.IdentityManagerException: 
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxGridConfigurationUtils.downloadPxGridEndPointCert(PxGridConfigurationUtils.java:350) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxGridConfigurationUtils.getAPICEMKeyStoreFilePath(PxGridConfigurationUtils.java:157) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.createConfig(PxgridConnectionManager.java:160) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.createScalableGroupGridConnection(PxgridConnectionManager.java:144) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.registerScalableGroupAndSessionSubscriberWithISE(PxgridConnectionManager.java:119) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.establishConnectionWithIse(PxgridConnectionManager.java:88) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.impl.CiscoIseServiceImpl.connectWithIseAndPullData(CiscoIseServiceImpl.java:268) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.impl.CiscoIseServiceImpl.access$000(CiscoIseServiceImpl.java:46) [classes/:na]
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.impl.CiscoIseServiceImpl$1.run(CiscoIseServiceImpl.java:244) [classes/:na]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [na:1.8.0_112]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [na:1.8.0_112]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_112]
Exception in thread "pool-1-thread-5" com.cisco.enc.identitymanager.exceptions.IdentityManagerException: Error retrieving PxGrid endpoint certificate from ISE
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxGridConfigurationUtils.downloadPxGridEndPointCert(PxGridConfigurationUtils.java:373)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxGridConfigurationUtils.getAPICEMKeyStoreFilePath(PxGridConfigurationUtils.java:157)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.createConfig(PxgridConnectionManager.java:160)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.createScalableGroupGridConnection(PxgridConnectionManager.java:144)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.registerScalableGroupAndSessionSubscriberWithISE(PxgridConnectionManager.java:119)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxgridConnectionManager.establishConnectionWithIse(PxgridConnectionManager.java:88)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.impl.CiscoIseServiceImpl.connectWithIseAndPullData(CiscoIseServiceImpl.java:268)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.impl.CiscoIseServiceImpl.access$000(CiscoIseServiceImpl.java:46)
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.impl.CiscoIseServiceImpl$1.run(CiscoIseServiceImpl.java:244)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: com.cisco.enc.identitymanager.exceptions.IdentityManagerException: 
	at com.cisco.enc.identitymanagerpxgrid.utils.PxGridConfigurationUtils.downloadPxGridEndPointCert(PxGridConfigurationUtils.java:350)
	... 11 more

This error appears several times starting line ~17000. Since it looks directly related to communication and certificate exchange between ISE and DNA, it is probably the source of the issue.

Any guidance to fix this certificate error would be greatly appreciated.

Please run below command :

“magctl service restart -d pxgrid” on DNAC CLI.

Before you run this command, please check if ISE is ACTIVE under AAA settings.

After running this command, wait for 3 mins and run command “magctl service logs -rf pxgrid > pxgrid_re.log”
Wait for 15-20 mins. Do control+C on CLI.
This will create a file /home/maglev/pxgrid_re.log. please provide that file.

Check under ISE->Pxgrid services if you see the subscriber.

If not, then go to ISE instance under settings->system settings->Authentication and policy servers.
Click the instance, go to edit, and update the password ( no need to change just renter the password ) and click apply.

Quickly go to CLI and run command “magctl service logs -rf k-d > k-d.log”
Wait for 10 mins and then press cntl+C, this will create file /home/maglev/k-d.log. please provide the file.
Make sure ISE become active. After that check in ISE->Pxgrid services if you see the subscriber.

Thanks,
Gaur

I followed the instructions you provided.

After updating the password in AAA settings in DNA, i got the same error as before:

Error establishing trust with ISE: Expected phrase [Trust establishment completed successfully] wasn't received from ise

After the update, the server's status displayed in DNA AAA settings is FAILED. It never changed back to ACTIVE.

At no point during the process did i see the DNAC subscriber appear in ISE pxGRID services.

In DNA System 360 page, the situation is still the same :

- ISE appears "available"

- PXGRID appears "unavailable"

Please find the file in attachments, which i will also inspect as soon as possible.

AndiBuchmann157
Level 1
Level 1

Did you double check that pxgrid services are enabled in your ISE settings?

I have the exact same issue, in my case pxgrid was enabled on ISE.

Hello Tom,

In our case the only thing that help us in this issue was regenerate the root certificate form ISE, after that we restart the pxgrid process in DNAC and reloaded the ISE, after that we achieve the conectivity.

Best Regards,

I have tried the following:

- Generate self signed root CA

- Generate rootCA-signed Intermediate CA

- Generate ISE/PXGRID cert signed by intermediate CA, with Subject Alternative Name (DNS + IP)

- Generate DNA cert signed by (same) intermediate CA, with subject alternative names (DNS + IP)

- Import chain to ISE and use the ISE subject cert for PXgrid only

- Import new DNA subject cert into DNA

- Delete and create again the AAA server on DNA side.

Now the AAA server is created without any errors, and shows up as ACTIVE. But the client does not appear on ISE side, and PXGRID is still shown as unavailable on DNA System 360 page.

The issue does not appear to be fixed. DNA also displays a warning on the new certificate i imported, because it is not aware of the root and intermediate CA (for some reason only one cert can be imported in DNA, whereas the whole chain can be imported in ISE).

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Try this additional things as well.

-Delete the old subscriber name in ISE.

-Create a new subscriber name(which never used before) in DNA-c

-If Proxy is used in ISE, Add DNA-C IP address in bypass list.

While integration, DNA-c certificate will automatically come under trusted certificate.

-Aravind

-Aravind

Hello,

I cannot delete DNA subscriber names from ISE because the subscriber name never appeared through all my retries. However, i try to pick a different name each time in case they are still stored somewhere hidden.

The ISE and DNA are on the same network so there should not be any proxy in use. Moreover, the ISE is used for test environments so it is not hardened with best practices = Access is not restricted to a specific set of IPs.

I deleted the old DNA certificate from ISE. Now when i try to add ISE as a AAA server in DNA i get an error that says the failure phrase was received, and that i should check the certificate chain.

However it is not specified if the issue comes from the DNA certificate chain ( in which case i cannot fix the issue since i can only import one cert, i cannot import the whole chain) or from the ISE ( in which case i do not know what the issue with the certificate chain might be since i see the three certs ( Root, Intermediate, and PXGRID) in trusted certificates).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco