Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center failed upgrade to 1.3.0.109

Hello everyone,

I see many threads that people had problems upgrading their DNA center (standalone), but never saw a resolution after their TAC cases. Is that complicated to solve this?

I'm trying to upgrade my DNA center from 1.2.0.1013 to 1.3.0.109, but after 3-4 hours stuck at 0%, I get the following message:

"System update failed during DOWNLOADED_HOOKS. Timeout waiting to pull system update hook bundle"

Unfortunately I don't have support for at least 1 or 2 months, hence I cannot open a TAC case. Does someone now how to fix this?

Thank you!

Vali Puiu

5 Replies 5

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you gone through pre-upgrade checks to confirm you are ready to upgrade? Have you ensured that your DNAC can reach out? Cisco has an Audit Upgrade Readiness Analyzer (AURA) tool that you can pull down to your DNAC nodes from github that essentially automates all of the "pre-upgrade" checks that TAC typically wants you to go through. Take a peek here: https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-digital-network/dnac-aura-tool/td-p/4146539

HTH!

Hello Mike,

Appreciate your support, took the AURA tool although running on a lower version than recommended, but it worked.

At the "Cisco DNA Center & Device Upgrade Readiness Results" I'm having 2 warning and 1 error.

#03:Checking:Count of Exited containers
INFO:324

Warning:Found 324 exited containers. Please contact TAC to perform a cleanup
#04:Checking:Count of Non Running Pods
INFO:18

Warning:Found 18 Non Running Pods. Please contact TAC to perform a cleanup
#05:Checking:Maglev Catalog Settings
Error:#01:Maglev Catalog Settings Validation check failed while executing command: Validating c
atalog server settings...

ERROR: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590)

I suppose the error is the reason of the failed upgrade, but it's a really strange error. The certificate is imported and according to the GUI it looks good.

I do have some ISE PSN certificates expired in the trustpool but I don't see a reason for the upgrade to fail.

Do you have any other recommendation?

Thank you!
Vali Puiu

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have the ability to clean the non running pods:

Check for lingering pods

The output of the following command should return no results. If there is a result returned, it indicates that pods are not being reaped appropriately.

$ kubectl get pod -a --all-namespaces | grep -v Running
NAMESPACE NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE
maglev-system cluster-updater 0/1 Completed 0 7h
maglev-system daily-catalog-cleanup-1541635200-q3nst 0/1 Completed 0 1d
maglev-system daily-catalog-cleanup-1541721600-lc46s 0/1 Completed 0 1h
ndp aggregationjobs-1541721600-lzdxk 0/1 Completed 0 1h
ndp aggregationjobs-1541725200-lblzm 0/1 Completed 0 39m
ndp purge-jobs-1541721600-2s7bz 0/1 Completed 0 1h
ndp purge-jobs-1541725200-x0k18 0/1 Completed 0 39m

Remove pods not in Running state

kubectl get pods -a --all-namespaces --no-headers | grep -v Running | awk '{print  "kubectl delete pod -n "$1,$2}' | while read -r cmd; do $cmd ; done

Restart docker:

After container and pod cleanup, it is prudent to restart docker service so that it can perform house keeping routines and starts with cleaner set of containers.

$ sudo systemctl restart docker

The attached is a checklist that used to be used prior to aura automation tool.  HTH!

Thank you for the guidance, after performing the steps the report looks better as I got rid of the readiness error checks:

#03:Checking:Count of Exited containers
INFO:290

Warning:Found 290 exited containers. Please contact TAC to perform a cleanup
#04:Checking:Count of Non Running Pods
INFO:1

INFO:Looks OK. No Non-Running Pods were found
#05:Checking:Maglev Catalog Settings
INFO:Validating catalog server settings...

Parent catalog settings are valid

INFO:Maglev Catalog Settings Validate looks OK

INFO:Maglev Catalog Settings Display :

maglev-1 [main - https://kong-frontend.maglev-system.svc.cluster.local:443]

But the problem persists when I want to upgrade:

System update status:
Version successfully installed : 1.2.0.1013
Version currently processed : 1.3.0.109
Update phase : failed
Update details : Timeout waiting to pull system update hook bundle
Progress : 0%

Updater State:
Currently processed version : 1.3.0.109
State : FAILED
Sub-State : DOWNLOADED_HOOKS
Details : Timeout waiting to pull system update hook bundle
Source : system-updater

What I find strange is the path from 1.2.0.1013 to 1.3.0.109, which according to some Cisco documentation must be done through several steps:

dna_center_steps.jpg

Is there a way to upgrade manually through this intermediate versions? Or I can only upgrade to whatever DNA center shows me to?

Thank you!
Vali Puiu

tpoulose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vali,

Unfortunately it is no longer possible to update to 1.3.0.109 (1.3.1.4) currently we can only update to the latest maintenance release of any train. For 1.3.1.X that would be 1.3.1.7, however that would not cause the current error message. So there are at least two issues here. Without TAC support this will be difficult to resolve over this forum. Reach out to your account/sales team to see if they can assist you with support, and if you don't have much data you can always reimage with the latest version. You can download the ISO from software.cisco.com and follow the instructions in the install guide for your model and desired version to reimage the appliance.