cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center seeking help to delete a device that is not accessible

Dean Weeks
Level 1
Level 1

I have an unreachable device that I would like to delete from Inventory. I'm running DNA Center v1.2.8 (system 1.1.0.715). My attempts to remove the device from withing the application have failed. Maybe the solution resides in using an API call or some other "behind the scenes" action. On to what I've tried.

Starting at trying to delete the device from Inventory failed with the error: "...It is being uses by APP DNA Provision"

Trying to delete the device from Provision/Devices/Inventory failed with error: "... Cannot Delete a device that is part of a Fabric"

Trying to "Remove from Fabric" failed with error: "... Cannot delete device(s) with interfaces containing port assignments"

Trying to clear port Assignments failed with error: "... Configuration on extended device ports connected to upstream edge can not be overwritten"

So where would I go from here?

The device in this topic is a Cisco Catalyst 3560CX-8PC-S. It will fail compliance checks on Fabric Role, Port Assignment, Segment and Virtual Network. The device has been physically removed and I have no way of bringing it back. What is even more laughable is that the device is not a Fabric complaint device but yet DNAC allowed it to be provisioned. Add to my wish list that DNAC will not provision a non compliant device to the Fabric.

Thanks for your support and comments!

D.Weeks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please Open a Cisco TAC Case with the Cisco DNA Team.  They can assist you with troubleshooting this issue.

Support Case Manager allows you to create and manage support cases with the Cisco TAC.

https://mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com/case?dtid=osscdc000283

Cheers!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

vijha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I hope you have read the definition on Cisco's website about deleting the devices from inventory. The definition says this "You can delete devices from the Cisco DNA Center database, as long as they have not already been added to a site.".

So, as per your description it shows devices are added to the site already, as they are provisioned. So, you cannot delete the device.

Other question that you have is: How the device which is not a Cisco DNA center ready product, how is it added to the DNA Center platform, It is like Cisco DNA center will discover all the devices in your network and will add the unknown products as unknown in the configuration map.

Hope this Helps

Regards,

Vibha Jha.

vijha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I hope you have read the definition on Cisco's website about deleting the devices from inventory. The definition says this "You can delete devices from the Cisco DNA Center database, as long as they have not already been added to a site.".

So, as per your description it shows devices are added to the site already, as they are provisioned. So, you cannot delete the device.

Other question that you have is: How the device which is not a Cisco DNA center ready product, how is it added to the DNA Center platform, It is like Cisco DNA center will discover all the devices in your network and will add the unknown products as unknown in the configuration map.

Hope this Helps

Regards,

Vibha Jha.

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please Open a Cisco TAC Case with the Cisco DNA Team.  They can assist you with troubleshooting this issue.

Support Case Manager allows you to create and manage support cases with the Cisco TAC.

https://mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com/case?dtid=osscdc000283

Cheers!

Go to Provision -> Inventory -> Select the Device -> Actions -> Provision -> Delete Device

Mathieu BELEY
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !

Here I found a way to remove / delete a device from the Fabric :

Provision / Fabric / Select your device / Fabric / Remove from Fabric

If DNA Center tell you that some interfaces are still used : Go to : Provision / Fabric / yoursite / Host Onboarding / yourdevice and select all your interfaces and make a clear (all the interfaces must be reseted). After this step, retry the first step.

Hope it will work for you

You can delete a device from Cisco DNA even if the device is no longer reachable. Follow these steps and it will work
1. Go to host onboarding and clear all the port assignments on that device ( This will show a failure due to reachability, but that's ok)Once the error messsage is return, you'll see the ports were cleared.
2. GO to the fabric site where this device was added and click on the device and select remove from Fabric ( Again, this will fail, but it's ok)
3. Go to inventory and delete device. Your device will be successfully deleted without having to open a TAC case.

I hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: