cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center Version Number - what is the deal?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello

I would like to understand DNA Center's versioning nomenclature (as much as it pains me to say this ... it's 2020 and we have to try and understand a product's versioning because it's not obvious)

When we refer to a DNA Center "version", what are we talking about? Is it the version that is reported in the 'About' menu?

dnac-version1.PNG

That seems the obvious answer, but my TAC engineer tells me that the bug I am facing is fixed in 1.4 which should be around the corner.

When I go to DNAC Relase Notes, I don't see any 1.4 - I see 2.1.2.0 - what happened to all the intermediate releases?

And BTW, when I checked my DNAC today, I was not offered this version? How do I go to 2.1.2.0 release?

dnac-release.PNG

And then the final confusion for me (perhaps I am the only one who gets hung up on this stuff) is the versions listed under Packages. Why is this so complex? Why should anyone have to care about this? If I am on Version 1.3.3.7 then that should be all I care about (am I up to date? yes ... fine ... move on) - why does anyone need to care about the Package versions and what is meant by "System" 1.3.0.147? Is this conflicting with 1.3.3.7 ...  

dnac-version2.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes. When 2.1.2.x is released as "GA", all Cisco DNA Centers in the supported Upgrade Path will see the 2.1.2.x Banner to "Switch now" and then once you switch to the new repository, the Cisco DNA Center will see all of the packages to update.

Yes, 1.4 = 2.1

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

usaf_27
Level 1
Level 1

That version 2.1.2 is fresh of the press. It should be hitting the DNAC appliances for us all to upgrade too.  But to your point, the versions are a little off and inconsistent.  

Cisco told me today that 2.1.2.0 is EFT and 1.4 is the next version coming out. I will wait and see ... and apparently these versions are offered in certain regions first (kind of like Apple iOS code). Cisco also told me to speak to my local AM to get access to DNAC 2.1.2.0 - it makes no sense to me.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

thanks @Tomas de Leon - I sort of get it now ... basically, if I take no action and simply wait a few weeks/months until the cloud icon shows me that there is an update available (that's how I like it ;-) , then the next version I might see after 1.3.3.7 is 2.1.2.0 ?

When the TAC refer to "1.4" they should be saying "2.1" ?

As a DNAC end-user I want to keep my system up to date and I rely on the auto update mechanism to make sure that it knows what it's doing (i.e. keeping all those many Packages up to date ... because I don't care to track all those versions)

I have put the wheels in motion to get onto the 2.1.2.0 release - it sounds like it has some features that we need.

Yes. When 2.1.2.x is released as "GA", all Cisco DNA Centers in the supported Upgrade Path will see the 2.1.2.x Banner to "Switch now" and then once you switch to the new repository, the Cisco DNA Center will see all of the packages to update.

Yes, 1.4 = 2.1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco