Views
Helpful
Replies

DNAC 1.3.1.4 Wireless pool option

rlienard
Level 1
Level 1

Dear people,

since DNAC 1.3.1.4, there is a new IP Pool option in the host onboarding menu called "Wireless Pool"

Behind the obvious, can someone explain precisely what this option does (in the code) ?

I thought that for wireless pools, the only requirement was to enable L2-Extension (So LISP registers the MAC + IP of the EID).

Now this gets confusing.

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Raphael Lienard | CCIE #63267
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dan Rowe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Rlienard,

I ran some tests in the lab on 1.3.1.4 and found the following:

1. When we onboard an IP pool to a VN from host onboarding (L2 Extension enabled / Wireless pool disabled), DNAC will push the L2 VNID LISP configuration to the CP nodes

2. When we select the IP pool as a 'Wireless Pool', DNAC will configure a fabric interface on the wireless LAN controller for the L2 VNID

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.19.59 PM.png

-- What DNAC pushes to the WLC:

config fabric vnid create name 10_20_30_128-patient l2-vnid 8205

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.21.12 PM.png

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Thanks very helpful Daniel.  In the second case, does DNAC also push the LISP config to the CP? 

I found some internal documentation which I will share here.  The problem being solved with this option is to reduce the number of IP Pools wireless controllers need to keep track of that aren't ever being used (because the controllers have a hard limit some networks were reaching).  So the wireless-pool button determines which pools the WLC should care about, and which pools will show up in the SSID dropdown in DNAC.  This button can be changed back and forth even after the pool is already created. This option applies only for Non-INFRA VNs.  The same logic applies to Aire OS, eWLC, and eCA.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dan Rowe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Rlienard,

I ran some tests in the lab on 1.3.1.4 and found the following:

1. When we onboard an IP pool to a VN from host onboarding (L2 Extension enabled / Wireless pool disabled), DNAC will push the L2 VNID LISP configuration to the CP nodes

2. When we select the IP pool as a 'Wireless Pool', DNAC will configure a fabric interface on the wireless LAN controller for the L2 VNID

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.19.59 PM.png

-- What DNAC pushes to the WLC:

config fabric vnid create name 10_20_30_128-patient l2-vnid 8205

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.21.12 PM.png

Best Regards,

Thanks very helpful Daniel.  In the second case, does DNAC also push the LISP config to the CP? 

I found some internal documentation which I will share here.  The problem being solved with this option is to reduce the number of IP Pools wireless controllers need to keep track of that aren't ever being used (because the controllers have a hard limit some networks were reaching).  So the wireless-pool button determines which pools the WLC should care about, and which pools will show up in the SSID dropdown in DNAC.  This button can be changed back and forth even after the pool is already created. This option applies only for Non-INFRA VNs.  The same logic applies to Aire OS, eWLC, and eCA.

Thank you for this clear explanation.
Indeed, if you don't specify any "wireless pools", all IP pools of the fabric site will appear in the WLC.
After selecting this option only the selected IP Pool will appear in the list.

Hi Daniel,
thanks for your helpful answer, this option is now clear to me.
Best regards,
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: