cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNAC Backups

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For those running DNAC version 1.2.6 in a cluster I want to share some valuable information on using a centos server to perform backups:

If you are using a linux repo to perform backups without assurance data you may see these errors in /var/log/secure:

Connection closed by <DNACIP> port $$$$ [preauth]
sshd: Failed password for dnac from <DNACIP>
unix_chkpwd: password check failed for user (dnac)
pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=<DNACIP> user=dnac

After testing several changes to pam.d config files such as system-auth and password-auth I realized that nothing on the server side was fixing the issue. I also saw this error:

sshd: Did not receive identification string from <DNACIP> port $$$$

That error led me to notice that I was performing all of my admin work using the GUI via the DNAC VIP ip address. Backups always failed when attempting to use DNAC via the VIP. I then proceeded to hand-jam the repo config into each server by accessing each server via the GUI by its IP address for node 1, node 2, node 3. Then I accessed DNAC from the command line to determine who the leader was using this command:

etcdctl member list

Once the master node was identified and I hand-jammed the repo config on each server, I kicked off the backup directly from the master, and everything worked perfectly. Hopefully this will save some of you out there the headache I went through.

1 Reply 1

Siemmina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

We are dealing with DNAC version 1.3.0.4 to do Backups.

When I try to configure from DNAC GUI or CLI from the master node I face the same result:

Linux Repo side:

the Linux repository receives the connection from the DNAC but after few seconds, the Linux repository receives a disconnection from the DNAC.

DNAC side:

When I configure the backup from the CLI: maglev backup remote update -s <linux repo> -t 22 -d  </path> -u <remote_server_username>  -p <remote_server_password> -r <passphrase_of_backup>

after some time I've got this error 

Error: the request to the backend service is timing out. Please refer to the backend service's logs for more details.

The Linux repo is a Centos 7, 

thank you in advance.

S. 

Error: the request to the backend service is timing out. Please refer to the backend service's logs for more detail