Views
Helpful
Replies

DNAC - Network Hierarchy recommendations

daveald
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am configuring a brand new deployment of DNAC 2.1.2! Exciting times ahead. I'm looking for a little guidance on how to define the hierarchy of my network.

Some notes:

- We have multiple campuses, with multiple buildings at each

- Remote campus' connect to main campus via EVPLS

- At main campus, we have

- VSS core with C6800's in two different buildings

- two sets of WLC 9800-80's, running in HA

My first thought was:

Area: Global

- Area: My org

-- Area: City 1

--- Building: Building A

------ Routing core assigned here

------ WLC's assigned here

--- Building: Building B

------ Some APs here

-- Area: City 2

--- Building: Building A

------ Some APs here

Main questions:

- How would you assign a VSS pair to a site when the shelves are in different buildings?

- How would you assign the WLC HA pair when the shelves are in different buildings?

- How do you provision APs anywhere other than Building A in City 1? 

-- I just tried a test run and I was unable to provision an AP in Building A City 2 because "There are no WLC's assigned to this site"

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @daveald 

Just to add to @kristoff1 answer

Main questions:

- How would you assign a VSS pair to a site when the shelves are in different buildings? 

- How would you assign the WLC HA pair when the shelves are in different buildings?

Devices can only be assigned to a single building/floor, including logical devices that are formed of multiple chassis and that can be physically distributed across multiple locations (such as VSS, SWV, 9800-WLCs in HA SSO etc.) My approach for these devices so far has been to assign the logical device to the building where the primary/active unit resides. For example - if SWV chassis 1 is located in building 1, then assign the logical device to building 1. I've also tagged these devices to make it a little clearer that these devices are in HA and split between physical locations. Example tag 'Area1-Bld1-Bld2-HA'.  This is working ok for me so far.

Also just a note that you cannot assign a device to the Area level of the network hierarchy so assigning to the City 1 area will not work. You will receive an error if you attempt to do this. 

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

kristoff1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would place your devices that are spread over 2 buildings in the same city on the city level and not in a building level.

You can off course do it like you and place the device in the building where the main device is located.

If you want to use a WLC for multiple buildings you must select the sites in the provisioning of the WLC. After the provisioning you will be able to assign AP's to all the different sites.

site.PNG

I hope this helps you out.

Kind regards,

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @daveald 

Just to add to @kristoff1 answer

Main questions:

Devices can only be assigned to a single building/floor, including logical devices that are formed of multiple chassis and that can be physically distributed across multiple locations (such as VSS, SWV, 9800-WLCs in HA SSO etc.) My approach for these devices so far has been to assign the logical device to the building where the primary/active unit resides. For example - if SWV chassis 1 is located in building 1, then assign the logical device to building 1. I've also tagged these devices to make it a little clearer that these devices are in HA and split between physical locations. Example tag 'Area1-Bld1-Bld2-HA'.  This is working ok for me so far.

Also just a note that you cannot assign a device to the Area level of the network hierarchy so assigning to the City 1 area will not work. You will receive an error if you attempt to do this. 

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies.

I went with the approach of assigning the logical devices to whichever building houses the primary shelf.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: