cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

This community is for technical, feature, configuration and deployment questions.
For production deployment issues, please contact the TAC!

• Register for the monthly Cisco DNA Center Ask the Expert Sessions to learn about Cisco DNA Center configuration and deployment.
    Views
    Helpful
    Replies
    Highlighted
    Beginner

Fusion and Border design/tuning for handoff

Hello,

I am configuring the handoff part of the SD-Access for my customer.
    To summarize, we have the following VRF/VN :
    - GRT/DEFAULT_VN : Underlay
    - Corporate_VN

For GRT/DEFAULT_VN and Corporate_VN, the eBGP will finish on fusion routers (catalyst 9500)

1- According to cisco documents, I have initially configured BGP on fusion routers with "maximum-path 2" parameter. But on Border, DNAC do not configure that for the VRF. Do I have to manually add this parameter for each address-family on borders ?

2- On Borders nodes, interconnection subnets (/30) for each VRF are annonced on BGP with network command. For me, it is useless. According to cisco documents, initial configuration of the border (GRT) do not announced interconnection subnets (/30) in GRT.

3- For redundancy, is therebest practices about BGP timers ?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Hugo

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Beginner

Re: Fusion and Border design/tuning for handoff

I'll answer your questions inline below:

1- According to cisco documents, I have initially configured BGP on fusion routers with "maximum-path 2" parameter. But on Border, DNAC do not configure that for the VRF. Do I have to manually add this parameter for each address-family on borders ?

ChuckMcF: We manually configured ours (maximum-paths eibgp 2 since our EBNs are connected via iBGP and FRs are eBGP). For clarity, we have dual FR and dual EBNs in our SDA network.

2- On Borders nodes, interconnection subnets (/30) for each VRF are annonced on BGP with network command. For me, it is useless. According to cisco documents, initial configuration of the border (GRT) do not announced interconnection subnets (/30) in GRT.

ChuckMcF:we do not have interconnects advertised via network statements. I agree, no point. The only network statements are for those networks in the specific VRFs.

ChuckMcF: my suggestion would be to leave timers alone and use BFD.

VLAN xxxx

bfd interval 100 min_rx 100 multiplier 3

router bgp xxxxx

neighbor a.b.c.d fall-over bfd

HTH,

Chuck McFadden

View solution in original post

Highlighted
    Beginner

Do I have to manually add this parameter for each address-family on borders ?

It depends, you only need this command if you have more than one link. If your Border and Fusion have single connections, you don't need to worry about it.

EBGP next hop is changed, iBGP isn't. So that's one thing to consider. If you're using EBGP, the /30's are really only handy for testing. I.E, if you want to ping from one /30 to another /30, you'd need those routes end to end. Going back in to your Shared Ssrvices though, you really need the /32's from each router within your Fabric Domain.

If you own the access network, you can set these really low, plus add BFD.

4 REPLIES 4
    Highlighted
    Beginner

I'll answer your questions inline below:

ChuckMcF: We manually configured ours (maximum-paths eibgp 2 since our EBNs are connected via iBGP and FRs are eBGP). For clarity, we have dual FR and dual EBNs in our SDA network.

ChuckMcF:we do not have interconnects advertised via network statements. I agree, no point. The only network statements are for those networks in the specific VRFs.

ChuckMcF: my suggestion would be to leave timers alone and use BFD.

VLAN xxxx

bfd interval 100 min_rx 100 multiplier 3

router bgp xxxxx

neighbor a.b.c.d fall-over bfd

HTH,

Chuck McFadden

Highlighted
    Beginner

Many thanks for these clarifications.

Highlighted
    Beginner

Do I have to manually add this parameter for each address-family on borders ?

It depends, you only need this command if you have more than one link. If your Border and Fusion have single connections, you don't need to worry about it.

EBGP next hop is changed, iBGP isn't. So that's one thing to consider. If you're using EBGP, the /30's are really only handy for testing. I.E, if you want to ping from one /30 to another /30, you'd need those routes end to end. Going back in to your Shared Ssrvices though, you really need the /32's from each router within your Fabric Domain.

If you own the access network, you can set these really low, plus add BFD.

Highlighted
    Beginner

Thank for your help
    Hugo
    CreatePlease to create content
    Content for Community-Ad