cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting started with an embedded WLC 9800 in DNA Center

alex.dersch
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, I am struggling with the setup of the WLC 9800 on a Catalyst 9300 Switch. I would like to configure it from DNA Center but I think DNA Center is not aware that I have one.

Here is the output from my switch

Next reload AIR license Level: AIR DNA Advantage

Active PKG Information:
State (St): C - Committed, U - Uncommitted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type Package_Type Version St Filename
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PKG C9800-Wirele 16.11.1c. C C9800-SW-iosxe-wlc.16.11.01c.SPA.bin

Can anyone share a link to a document how to set up a wireless network for a site?

thanks

Alex

15 Replies 15

Parthiv Shah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi

If you are only looking for wireless deployment guide than it is available @
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_SD_Access_Wireless_Deployment_Guide.html

If you are looking for basic information on 9800 then it is available @ https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/wireless-sub-package.html

Deployment almost similar for both case. If you have any specific question or need help with some problem than let us know.

Thanks

Hi Parthiv, 

thanks for sharing the guide, I guess this will help to configure the wireless network. 

Hi Parthiv,

somehow it doesn't work. I've added the WLC function to the Border as Nathan suggested. Then I was following the SD Access CVD Guide to set up the wireless portion. 

When I configure it in the fabric the deployment stops with this error

Provisioning failed for border
NCWL10100: WlanController is not found for the device border with Id d3fbed38-fa03-4a74-aa89-d72ea6037fad

I have opened a TAC case, hope this will be fixed today. 

thanks

Alex

Nathan_Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure that when you're discovering the 9300 that the Netconf option (on the default port 830) is enabled. Once discovery with netconf is successful, you'll see the option to enable embedded wireless on the 9300 in the fabric infrastructure page.

Hi Nathan, 

I managed to to enable the wireless controller. I did earlier a re discovery of the node but didn't now how to enable it. 

In the infrastructure fabric my border shows as C|B|W

I guess it means I am good to configure my wireless network now. 

thanks

Alex

Any idea, why my access point doesn't get registered to the controller? Do I need different software than the one installed on it?

Here the output from show cdp neighbour from the switch

Device ID: APDC8C.37A3.8B36
Entry address(es):
IP address: 10.38.128.128
Platform: cisco AIR-AP2802I-E-K9, Capabilities: Router Trans-Bridge
Interface: GigabitEthernet1/0/2, Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0
Holdtime : 164 sec

Version :
Cisco AP Software, ap3g3-k9w8 Version: 8.3.143.0
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2014-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

advertisement version: 2
Power drawn: 26.100 Watts
Power request id: 3220, Power management id: 2
Power request levels are:26100 15400 0 0 0
Management address(es):

The SD WAN compatibility matrix suggests AireOS or IOS XE, which one should I use?

thanks

Alex

Any idea, why my access point doesn't get registered to the controller? Do I need different software than the one installed on it?

Here the output from show cdp neighbour from the switch

Device ID: APDC8C.37A3.8B36
Entry address(es):
Platform: cisco AIR-AP2802I-E-K9, Capabilities: Router Trans-Bridge
Interface: GigabitEthernet1/0/2, Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0
Holdtime : 164 sec

Version :
Cisco AP Software, ap3g3-k9w8 Version: 8.3.143.0
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2014-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

advertisement version: 2
Power drawn: 26.100 Watts
Power request id: 3220, Power management id: 2
Power request levels are:26100 15400 0 0 0
Management address(es):

The SD WAN compatibility matrix suggests AireOS or IOS XE, which one should I use?

thanks

Alex

Verify that your DHCP server for the APs has option 43 defined pointing to the ip address of the C9300 that is hosting the eWLC.  Once it joins the eWLC that APs will update the firmware to match the eWLC version.

Regards

T.

Hi Tomas, thanks for the advise. I've added option 43 to the scope and rebooted the AP. Now I am waiting. I thought this is somehow done by a macro on the switch.

Hi Tomas, thanks for the advise. I've added option 43 to the scope and rebooted the AP. Now I am waiting. I thought this is somehow done by a macro on the switch.

am still waiting for the AP to register...

I think my controller isn't good yet. I have a red exclamation mark next to my border and it has one critical alert. In the more details it shows that the fabric role isn't good. 

these are the messages

PETR config in external border
proxy-etr configured under global ip service
Lisp Process On device
Found Lisp Process on Device
Please do the following
Please add a control plane to the fabric domain
Border with L3 handoff
found map-cache site-registration

I have the control plane assigned to the border, that's very odd. 

then I got 3 Information Alerts.When expanding those i have a red exclamation mark for connectivity checks 
PingMapServer-172.16.38.100 failed
ping to 172.16.38.100 unsuccessful, success rate 0

Also very strange because I can run an inventory collection on the device. 

and the Software License has also a red exclamation mark.
Failure Reason
No valid license on device

very strange

thanks for any suggestions to get this solved

Alex

Hi Alex,

This is probably going to require some checking of your setup. Might take too long to resolve over one-message-a-day forum posts.

If this is urgent please raise a TAC case.

Other option might be to delete the 9300 from fabric and inventory, then rediscover and re-provision.

Otherwise PM me your email address and perhaps we can do a WebEx next week.

Jerome

Hi Jerome, 

the software on the Catalyst is Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.11.01c

the 9800 Controller software is PKG C9800-Wirele 16.11.1c. C C9800-SW-iosxe-wlc.16.11.01c.SPA.bin

I did install the software manually, I copied to the device and activated from the cli, maybe this causes the troubles. 

I opened a TAC case, we scheduled a Webex for this evening in my CET timezone. 

<deleted>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: