cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Large Site - Dedicated Edge Node (No Stacking)

David Harrell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We are in the design phase, and as a MAN, we are listed as a Large Site design. We have several locations that currently have C9200Ls as our access layer devices, and most of these are stacked for a single virtual switch. The deployment is going to involve upgrading these to C9300Ls, and looking through the best practices guide (https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/cisco-sda-design-guidance-and-best-practices/ta-p/3865954 ) it lists the Edge Nodes as "Dedicated Edge (no stacking)" under the Solution Scale for Large Sites. I'm not certain if this is a reference to switch stacking as we have deployed today, or if it is referencing cascading edge nodes.

Does anyone here have an idea?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Cuthbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please see the updated Site Reference Models in the SD-Access Solution Design Guide CVD.

View solution in original post

Hi David,

Not sure if this helps, we're in rollout of a SDA deployment. Not sure we're large in the strictest sense of the word but we've three XL DNA-C appliances for our expected endpoint count.

We've probably got 80+ two member 9300 (not L) stacks out there at present, more to come, at the fabric edge for fabric APs, endpoints and Extended Nodes to hang off. Currently running 1.3.3.6

Hope that helps

Steve

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Cuthbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please see the updated Site Reference Models in the SD-Access Solution Design Guide CVD.

Jonathan

Thank you for the link. However, I do not see any negative references to stacking on Fabric Edge nodes in the PDF.

Hi David,

Not sure if this helps, we're in rollout of a SDA deployment. Not sure we're large in the strictest sense of the word but we've three XL DNA-C appliances for our expected endpoint count.

We've probably got 80+ two member 9300 (not L) stacks out there at present, more to come, at the fabric edge for fabric APs, endpoints and Extended Nodes to hang off. Currently running 1.3.3.6

Hope that helps

Steve

Steve,

That's good to hear. I was getting a little confused as to the wording on this pdf, when all the other deployment guides listed stacking as acceptable.

Stacking is fine; stacking is supported. 
I understand your concern/question on the guide you referenced.  I wrote the CVD after the publishing of that Best Practices Guide, updating the Reference Designs guidance.

Yes - 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: