cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for some help understanding default routes.

Ressler
Level 1
Level 1

This will be tricky to explain but I'll do my best! I recently got a certification and in the exam there was a part dealing with default routes. I ended up solving the section but I got lucky and I want to understand why my answer was correct.

We were on the 192.168.x.x network. We were supplied a PCAP that showed some traffic going to a website on the 10.10.x.x network. First thing I did was try to browse to the site - no luck. Next thing I did was check my routing table - no route to the 10.10.x.x network. Next I tried "ip route add 10.10.x.0/24 via 192.168.x.1" - nope! Still couldn't get to the site. At this point I didn't know what to do since I didn't know the IP for the default gateway for the 10.10.x.x network. I read through the PCAP some more and saw some ARP traffic between some devices on the 10.10.x.x network. I plugged those in to the routing table and eventually was able to access the site.

1 Reply 1

gayviswa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ressler, 

This community is focused towards answering queries with Cisco DNA Center deployment and it's features.

Suggest to post your question in an appropriate community.