Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maglev wizard NTP setting

I can't get past the setup for the configuration until a proper NTP address is entered into the wizard.  

In my setup the management CIMC address is on our production network but the maglev wizard will be setup to scan and monitor a SEPARATE and un-linked network.  I'm connecting the CIMC production IP to access the GUI which will then give me visibility to the other network.

So, when it is asking for an NTP address does it want the mgmt ntp or the network that i am scanning?  the scanned network is plugged into the en0 port. in the maglev wizard i am configuring en0 for the network that i want scanned.  The switch for the scanned network is participating in NTP and is sync'd:

*******************************************************************************************

Clock is synchronized, stratum 9, reference is 10.97.2.1
nominal freq is 190.7348 Hz, actual freq is 190.7346 Hz, precision is 2**20
ntp uptime is 159025500 (1/100 of seconds), resolution is 5263
reference time is E5771BF7.B8114521 (12:40:07.719 EST Wed Dec 29 2021)
clock offset is 78.2880 msec, root delay is 3.07 msec
root dispersion is 57.71 msec, peer dispersion is 3.95 msec
loopfilter state is 'CTRL' (Normal Controlled Loop), drift is 0.000000889 s/s
system poll interval is 128, last update was 760 sec ago.

*******************************************************************************************

If i use the 10.97.2.1 IP for the NTP in the maglev wizard it say it cannot find it and fails.  

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Cuthbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@anthony.j.shutters.civ1 wrote:

I can't get past the setup for the configuration until a proper NTP address is entered into the wizard.  

In my setup the management CIMC address is on our production network

Generally speaking, you want the Cisco DNA Center management port and the CIMC port to be on the same network.  CIMC is the out-of-band (OOB) port for the hardware and the Cisco DNA Center management port is ostensibly the OOB port for the software.  Having them on the same network is not a requirement, but it is conceptually how the ports were designed.  I am unclear what "CIMC is on our production network" but if that means that CIMC is accessible from a user-path perspective, I would strongly consider pulling it OOB.

So, when it is asking for an NTP address does it want the mgmt ntp or the network that i am scanning?  the scanned network is plugged into the en0 port. in the maglev wizard i am configuring en0 for the network that i want scanned.  

If i use the 10.97.2.1 IP for the NTP in the maglev wizard it say it cannot find it and fails.  

Conceptually think about Cisco DNA Center as a "router" with multiple interfaces.  From a routing logic perspective, how does a device determine how to reach an IP address?  It looks for an entry in the routing table and an egress interface.  The appliance is no different.  What NTP address does it want you to use?  Whichever one it can access through whichever port.  I can't speak directly to that because I do not know the design of your network. 

In my setups, my NTP servers are OOB.  My Cisco DNA Center uses the management port to reach the NTP servers via the default gateway which is on my OOB management port.  However, I could just as easily have set up a static route rather than using the default gateway routing logic.  I could also have an NTP server that is accessible through another interface as long as Cisco DNA Center has reachability to it.  All of these area based on your setup. 

If the above text is not clear enough on how to move forward, please provide a diagram.