cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move / Relocate device

scsc_tech
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to move assigned devices to another building/floor/site, or do they have to be deleted from inventory and rediscovered? When I try to assign a site to a device that is already assigned, the location is grayed out and cannot be modified.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ammahend
VIP
VIP

I don't think it can be done without removing in order .. remove host on-boarding config, remove from Fabric, unprovision (delete from provision device list). What are you trying to accomplish eventually, there might be easier way

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should not have to completely remove the device from your inventory.  Prior to attempting to move it from one site to another ensure that you have removed it from your original fabric.  You should then be able to assign it elsewhere.  HTH!

I currently have a switch that is in the inventory and assigned to a location, but is not added to the fabric. I am unable to relocate this switch using Actions>Assign Device to site

you will have to delete and add again manually or through discovery.

-hope this helps-

ammahend
VIP
VIP

I don't think it can be done without removing in order .. remove host on-boarding config, remove from Fabric, unprovision (delete from provision device list). What are you trying to accomplish eventually, there might be easier way

-hope this helps-

This is not correct... you should be able to move the device without having to delete it. I'm having the same issue but only with a few sites/devices.

rkhan786
Level 1
Level 1
I have a similar problem of grayed out option but another DNAC let me move any device to anywhere I wants. Same soft ver of 1.3.x. on both. Did anybody have any solution?

Have the same issue, some is gray'd out some is not. Only think I can do is deleting the device, then re-add it back in. 

Can you tell me what is the impact when I delete a device from the Inventory? Device is not added to a fabric, it just got discovered and added to a site. Afterwards some config was pushed to it. I would like to understand what happens when I delete the device from inventory now. Does it just get deleted or does any config also being deleted again. I hope not the switch will be set to factory default or something.

When you delete a device from the inventory (that is not added to a fabric), DNAC will ask if you want to clean up the configuration which will remove any configuration that DNAC applied during and following initial discovery and provisioning such as device controllability settings and network settings (AAA, NTP etc). Any configuration that was present on the device prior to DNAC discovery will not be removed. 

Config Cleanup.PNG

From my previous testing with configuration cleanup, DNAC doesn't remove any configuration that was applied using templates and it doesn't remove some settings such as the DNAC-CA trustpoint and IP Device Tracking that is pushed to the device during discovery (I have had to remove these manually). I'm not sure if this behaviour is the same in the latest release.

If you dont want DNAC to remove any configuration, simply leave the Configuration Clean-UP option unchecked and click OK.

Great, thank you very much for your quick help!!

eddyfonseca
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue but it seem the move option is selective to the switch or object.  I am able to move with the same hardware but on another floor it does not allow me and is gray out.  I do not want to remove the hardware from inventory but I do not understand what the fabric means.  if you can explain that will help.

Note the hardware is Cat 9200-48 l for both devices.

thank you

If I discover a switch how does it get into the fabric,  I have not done anything else with the switch other than discover it and place it on a site>building>floor.   when you speak about a fabric what are you referring to so I can get a better understanding of the terms. 

Julien Whitlock
Level 1
Level 1

Can this please be clarified by Cisco?
We are provisioning switches with DNAC, but we are not doing SD-Access.
It appears as though we cannot move a switch from one site to another if it has been claimed via PnP and provisioned with DNAC.
For switches that have ONLY been discovered by DNAC, we appear to be able to move the switch...

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Julien Whitlock  What you are observing is the expected behavior currently.  I think it would be nice to be able to move devices to other sites even if they have been provisioned.  I suggest opening a Make a Wish via the Catalyst Center help menu to make the product managers aware of this need.