Views
Helpful
Replies

Multivendor device package for DNA Center 2.2.3.5

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the multivendor device packages for DNA-C. The goal is to have some visibility of some Cisco Nexus devices as well within DNA-C. Now, we're struggling with this device package stuff as there are just a few pointers available, so below is a list of questions. I will say that the only document that made the concept a little bit clearer, which was a german presentation by Anyweb: https://www.anyweb.ch/fileadmin/Dateien/Events_Download/Praesentationen/PC_DNA_Center_Mai_2020_-_all_in_one_-.pdf

I understand that the device package is basically nothing more than a bunch of XML files that create a mapping from DNAC instructions to the device specific instructions and vice versa. At least, that seems to be the original idea with the Java based SDK. However, "lately" everything points to different SDKs such as the ones in Python and Golang. 

1. Are there any (up to date) device packages available as an example? The only ones I found is an older Juniper and Huawei package created with the Java SDK. I'm not even sure if this still works in DNA2.2+.
  2. Which SDK are we supposed to use with DNA 2.2+? The aforementioned device packages seem to be made within a java SDK. The latest version was last updated in 2018. Link: https://developer.cisco.com/docs/dna-sdk-docs/#!getting-started/getting-started
  3. This page talks about southbound API access: https://developer.cisco.com/docs/dna-center/#!cisco-dna-center-platform-overview/multivendor-support-southbound. That's all well and good, but where are the references in the API calls? Multiple forum posts and webex chats refer to the Python and Go SDK, but I cannot find any information about third party devices, except a reference in the SWIM modules, but that's already a step further than where I'm currently at.
    Said reference: https://dnacentersdk.readthedocs.io/en/latest/_modules/dnacentersdk/api/v2_2_3_3/software_image_management_swim.html?
  4. Let's say that I get a package working or even try to install one of the example packages, how would I go about doing that? I cannot find any import functionality within DNA-C. I've been unable to find any type of documentation on this topic as well.

As you can see, I have a lot of questions. The links that I've seen in forum posts, word docs etc. are generic ones to Cisco Devnet code exchange, a generic page that is more marketing than technical or the link in question 3. These have thus far not been able to answer any of my questions and I'm a little lost where to get started. 

To be clear, I'm comfortable enough with Python and the API, but I'm unable to find references and guidance on this particular aspect of the DNAC product.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

As I received a PM regarding this topic, I thought to update this post.

Essentially the support is discontinued according to Cisco TAC. There's no longer any reference on the DNAC webpage regarding this functionality, nor are there references in the API documentation anymore (southbound APIs). In our version, the JAVA SDK wasn't working very well as we couldn't load the devices that were already in DNAC, probably due to updates in the DNAC API compared to older versions for which the SDK was written.
This means that this feature is not a viable route, even with older versions of DNAC as the compatibility will break in later version such as this version 2.2.3.5.

Kr,

Axel

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

As I received a PM regarding this topic, I thought to update this post.

Essentially the support is discontinued according to Cisco TAC. There's no longer any reference on the DNAC webpage regarding this functionality, nor are there references in the API documentation anymore (southbound APIs). In our version, the JAVA SDK wasn't working very well as we couldn't load the devices that were already in DNAC, probably due to updates in the DNAC API compared to older versions for which the SDK was written.
This means that this feature is not a viable route, even with older versions of DNAC as the compatibility will break in later version such as this version 2.2.3.5.

Kr,

Axel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: