Helpful
Replies

SDA Multicast (IPTV)

waleedmatter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have 

IPTV Setup Box---Edge nodes----Border-----2x Fusion-------DC FW(GW)-----Shared services (IPTV streamer)

My questions

Q1:if it is Ok to connect the streamer behind FW or it will be better to move it to connect the Border  or Fusion   to be easy to enable the multicast between the setup boxes and streamers

Q2: How i can enable the Multicast ,,In the legacy network , enable igmp from edge nodes and PIM spare mode in any layer 3 interface and RP but here how we can enable it 

11 Replies 11

Joshua Marks
Level 1
Level 1

Providing you can enable multicast on your firewall (PIM sparse mode, RP address etc.), it will be okay to place the multicast source behind the firewall. Attaching the source to your border or fusion devices would make things easier, but that's a design decision for you to make.

In the SDA fabric, you should use the automated multicast workflow. Refer to this community post for information about the different types and how to configure SDA multicast: https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/cisco-sd-access-multicast/ta-p/4068110.

Josh

The doc. is not specific to select which option ,, native multicast or head-end replication and it mentioned in doc to use mandatory internal rp and then mentioned no problem to use external rp 

i need specific procedures and it worked because the multicast is more senstive and any problem in any node it can not work

Hi, 

The preferred way will always be to use native multicast, this means that the overlay multicast traffic will be mapped to a multicast address in the underlay.

With Head-end replication, the head-end will have to take the multicast in the overlay and replicate it with unicast for all RLOCs in the underlay.

What bout the RP can use it as the external or internal to be a Border 

As you mentioned that the Native multicast is the prefer method and this method will use SSM without RP so no need the RP but it will need to enable the SSM & PIM Sparse mode in the all nodes to the server

1-So after enable the multicast in the fabric ,

2-I need to apply the configuration below for the all nodes in the path 

-In the Fusion (global enable SSM under VN Non_IT  &  IP pim sparse mode under SVI interface under VN Non_IT  point to Border & IP pim sparse mode under SVI interface under VN Shared_Service  point to FW )

-In DC FW (global enable SSM , IP pim sparse mode under sub-interface point to Fusion &  IP pim sparse mode under sub-interface (GW) of the IPTV 

(Setpboxes)Edge Nodes--Border--VN Non_IT----Fusion VN Shared_Service---Global DC FW (GW)----IPTV Servers

Is this correct ?

Native multicast uses SSM in the underlay. You then have the option to use SSM or ASM in the overlay. Which multicast method you use in the overlay is up to you, however it is typically ASM. With ASM you must have an RP per VN, in which case you might use the Fusion or DC FW.

If you choose to use SSM in the overlay, then then steps you have laid out are correct. It will be important to ensure your receivers support IGMPv3/source selection, otherwise SSM in the overlay will not work as expected.

Josh

Thanks for your answer but it means the Native Multicast is the prefer method with the ASM but it will need to enable multicast (ip pim sparse mode , ip pim rp-address in the FW , Fusion)

but what about the SVI  under the VN IPTV in the border which point to the Fusion , It will enable the ip pim sparse mode and RP) ?? How the Border will forward the multicast to the Fusion

Border---??------------VN IPTV----------Fusion VN 

The automatic deployment workflow from DNA Center will handle RP-address configuration all fabric nodes including the border, as well pim sparse-mode on the fusion facing SVI. The border will then form an upstream PIM neighbourship once you configure the fusion SVI. Same goes for your FW subinterfaces, you must configure them.

Put simply, DNA Center will do ALL the necessary overlay config for endpoint VNs in the fabric. Anything outside the fabric, you will have to do manually (CLI/GUI or templates, whatever works for you). 

Josh

Thanks for your answer so if i select RP is the Fusion under the VRF IPTV and the FW will configure for it ,,my question when i will select the SSN & ASM Multicast within the fabric , as in doc. i will select the external RP and i will write the IP address of the Fusion correct? 

Yes that is correct. When you select external RP, you need to specify the RP-address (the IP on the fusion in this case) for DNA Center to configure it on the fabric nodes. Hope that helps.

Josh