Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch is stucked "in progress" after activating DNA adavantage license

hugo.girard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an issue with only one switch in my SD-Access Fabric.

After LAN Automation and provisioning, I have registered it (Manage Smart Licence -> Register) but it is stucked in "Advantage in progress" into the tab "Cisco DNA Licence" . I have no issue with other switchs. This switch seems to works properly.

It is a Catalyst 9500 (Intermediate node) with IOS-XE version 16.12.1c.

On the switch licencing seems to be ok :

switch#show license summary
Smart Licensing is ENABLED

Smart Account: XXXXX
Virtual Account: XXXXX
Export-Controlled Functionality: ALLOWED
Last Renewal Attempt: None
Next Renewal Attempt: Aug 18 11:30:09 2020 UTC

License Authorization:
Last Communication Attempt: SUCCEEDED
Next Communication Attempt: Apr 03 09:28:22 2020 UTC

License Usage:
License Entitlement tag Count Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
C9500 24Y4C DNA Adva... (C9500-DNA-24Y4C-A) 1 AUTHORIZED
C9500 Network Advantage (C9500 Network Advantage) 1 AUTHORIZED

After rebooting or changing IOS version, I have the same issue.

Regards,

Hugo

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Many thanks for your help.

Finally, I opened a TAC case. There were some errors in DNAC. The issue was solved after restarting the 2 services related to licensing in CLI.

Regards,

Hugo

View solution in original post

Please find the solution to my issue :

In CLI (maglev), hard restart of licensemanager and license-service :

$ magctl service restart -d licensemanager

$ magctl service restart -d license-service

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming that you are using an SDA capable IOS XE version you do not need to reboot or change the IOS XE version to get licensing working.

It looks like your switch is having issues getting to your Smart account. Is there anything (ACL/firewall/etc.) that may be blocking it from the Internet? Are you sure you have an available license in your Smart account in the proper Virtual Account for this device? If both of these turn out not to be the issue please check your Smart account to see if it has actually been registered to it. You can do this by going to Cisco Software Central > Smart Software Licensing > the appropriate Virtual Account > Product Instances. From there, search for the UDI PID and UDI SN. The UDI SN will be the MAC address of your switch. If you see your switch's serial number there then it may just be that DNAC hasn't synced with your Smart account. To sync the two do the following:

Go to Cisco DNA Center > Provision > Devices > Inventory, check the box beside your device then go to Actions > Inventory > Resync Device. Select "Yes" at the warning and wait a few moments for the resync process to complete. After Resync has completed go to License Manager > Switch and then click the "Refresh" which can be found just above and to the right of the "Used Cisco DNA Licenses" display. The "Refresh" simply ensures that DNAC and your Smart account are in sync.

If this doesn't help please respond with additional  detailed information about your current situation and I should be able to help.

HTH,

ChuckMcF

Hi,

Many thanks for your help.

Finally, I opened a TAC case. There were some errors in DNAC. The issue was solved after restarting the 2 services related to licensing in CLI.

Regards,

Hugo

I am glad you were able to resolve this issue. I didn't want to take you to this step until you did the others for obvious reasons. Glad everything worked well.I haven't seen that issue since we upgraded to 1.3.1.3 however I'd suggest that you put the step by step procedures that you used for this into notepad and save it somewhere. There is a reasonable chance that you may run into this again. For example, we now have 90 NADs (Network Access Devices) on our SDA network. I've run into this 3-5 times over the past ~2 years that we've been expanding the network. So it's rare but it does happen.

Good Luck,

ChuckMcF

Please find the solution to my issue :

In CLI (maglev), hard restart of licensemanager and license-service :

$ magctl service restart -d licensemanager

$ magctl service restart -d license-service