cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading DNA Center

enominezerum
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have experience in upgrading DNA Center? I am running a POC and trying to get fully upgraded but it seems every time I upgrade an Application there is another upgrade to follow.

Regarding the main system update I was initially on 1.2.1 > 1.2.6 > 1.2.8 (which took very long).

If there a proper way to upgrade DNA Center? Is it System update and then Application update, if so is there a way to jump Application updates or are they strictly linear?

6 Replies 6

AndiBuchmann157
Level 1
Level 1

Check out the Release notes of 1.2.8 right here

regards,

Andi

Thanks for posting that Andi. I had previously reviewed that before posting. It doesn't address my concern that I have spent all day updating Applications on DNA Center

It takes a while. In my lab 1.2.6 to 1.2.8 was 7.5 hours, 2 hours of which was download (very slow Internet connection in my lab) and 2 and a half hours was application upgrade.

If you look at lab notes below and timing, I think the best way to go when coming from 1.2.6 is:
- Apply 1.2.6.1, check in 45 mins later
- Apply 1.2.8, check in 2 hours later

- Download all apps - time will vary depending on Internet speed. If slow, allow 2 hours

- Install all apps, check in 2 and a half hours later

That way, you're not forced to sit there staring at it.

Here are my lab notes. Making sure that Cisco DNA Center is "quiet" after each step is important.

>>

Total time to update Cisco DNA Center 1.2.6 to 1.2.8: 7 and 1/2 hours, 2 hours of which are "slow download"

From 1.2.6, apply System Update 1.1.0.659.1, 40 minutes total.

Cisco DNA Center was busy for 10 minutes after System Update, verified with

while true; echo Checking; do magctl appstack status | grep 0/; echo "Check Complete"; sleep 30; done

Once this showed only "Checking" and "Check Complete", moved on to 1.2.8 via "Switch Now"

Then apply System Update 1.1.0.715, 2 hours 15 minutes total

Cisco DNA Center was busy for 20 minutes after System Update, verified with

while true; echo Checking; do magctl appstack status | grep 0/; echo "Check Complete"; sleep 30; done

Once this showed only "Checking" and "Check Complete", moved on to App Updates

"Download All" for App Updates, took 2 hours because of slow Internet link in lab

"Update All" for App Updates, took 2 and a half hours

>>

AndiBuchmann157
Level 1
Level 1
Upgrade paths:

Existing customer deployments on 1.1.7, 1.1.8, or 1.2 – 1.2.4: Upgrade first to 1.2.6.

Existing customer deployments on 1.2.5 or 1.2.6: You must apply a system update before you can upgrade to 1.2.8. The system update version is 1.1.0.659.1 and is available in the production catalog. After the update is applied, you will see a 1.2.8 banner and can upgrade to 1.2.8.

vijha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please go through the upgrade guide for the better visibility on the Question that you have asked:

Guidance for New and Existing DNA Center Deployments

New Customers should go directly to v1.2.8 via the Cloud Update. 

Existing Assurance/non-fabric deployments can move to v1.2.8 if they want to use the new features/enhancements

Existing SDA production deployment customers are recommended to move to v1.2.8 only if they need the new device support for Catalyst 9200 or 9200L else they should stay on v1.2.6

Upgrade Paths:

Any existing customer deployments on v1.1.7, v1.1.8, or v1.2 – 1.2.4 will need to first upgrade to v1.2.6

Customer deployments on v1.2.5 or v1.2.6 will need to first apply a System Update before they can upgrade to 1.2.8.  The System Update version is 1.1.0.659.1 and is available in production catalog.  Once this update is applied, customers will be able to see the 1.2.8 banner and can upgrade to it.

About your question:

"If there a proper way to upgrade DNA Center? Is it System update and then Application update, if so is there a way to jump Application updates or are they strictly linear?"

The above is the only way to upgrade to the new version. Right now there is no other way. This is as it is documented by Cisco and Cisco recommended.

Regards,

Vibha Jha

Cisco Sales Acceleration Center

sac-support@cisco.com

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Beware if jumping from 1.X to 2.X.  Also, as of 2.5 DNAC requires a VIP even if not running a cluster.  I had issues with this before getting to 1.2.6.  View the release notes to ensure your ISE version is compatible with whatever you are attempting to move to.  If you reach out to TAC they will provide you with a step by step approach.