cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is meaning of SMNP polling interval is Zero under NAD configuration of ISE?

VipinGupta
Level 1
Level 1

In ISE under Network devices, i can see SNMP polling interval is Zero. DNAC and ISE are integrated. What is the meaning of this when SNMP polling time is Zero? Whether ISE is doing SNMP polling or not. 

3 Replies 3

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the meaning of this when SNMP polling time is Zero? Whether ISE is doing SNMP polling or not.

-Correct.  Once a NAD is added to site, DNAC will propagate the NAD along with it's config to ISE via the pxgrid integration.  AFAIK DNAC will always send the NAD to ISE with the polling time as zero by default.  There are ways to modify this if using/going to use the SNMP probe for device profiling on the ISE side of the house.  This can be done via either manually tweaking the NAD properties yourself or utilizing APIs.  Don't quote me on this, but my best guess is that DNAC sets it to zero because there is no current way in DNAC to tweak that setting, and truthfully device profiling is a completely separate entity from DNAC.  However, profiling can be subject to use with SDA for several purposes.  To see more on profiling/probes see here: ISE Profiling Design Guide - Cisco Community

HTH!

VipinGupta
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Mike. It gave me some clarity on this. I do understand profiling is different than device profiling. I will go through shared link. 

If snmp poll timers is ZERO, is ISE even sending SNMP probe to the device? I am getting huge number of "Authentication failure traps" in my monitoring tool. Do I need to add ISE server in SNMP ACL list so that i can avoid these alerts. 

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If snmp poll timers is ZERO, is ISE even sending SNMP probe to the device?

-That guide I shared earlier will definitely answer a majority of your concerns.  For the record, a polling interval of 0 disables SNMP Polling while still allowing other SNMP services to be used with the network device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: