cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade firmware via intersight failing

nflnetwork
Level 1
Level 1
Service profile of server is bound to a template of type updating-template. Upgrade operation is supported only with the initial-template.
What needs to be done here? (I'm not overly familiar with any service profiles that may or may not be setup in my UCS environment)

Thanks, 

3 Replies 3

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll most likely need to update the firmware of the blades via UCSM if they are attached to updating templates.  For that you would download the B/C-series firmware bundle from cisco.com and manually upload it to your fabric interconnect.  Once uploaded you can create a new host firmware policy and attach it to your updating template (make sure your maintenance policy is not set to immediate)

For UCSM managed server upgrades through Intersight the following pre-requisites are required:

• Only UCS B and C-Series M3, M4, M5, M6 servers and Cisco UCS S3260 M4, M5 servers that are claimed through Intersight may be upgraded.

• Servers may be upgraded from a minimum of Cisco UCS Manager release version 3.2(1d).

• Only servers in associated state will be upgraded.

• Servers associated with server profiles bound to updating templates cannot be upgraded.

• Servers associated with global server profiles cannot be upgraded.

• All servers in the Cisco UCS Domain must be at license tier Essentials or higher.

• You need Server Administrator privileges to perform firmware upgrade on servers.

https://intersight.com/help/saas/resources/Upgrading_Server_Firmware

appreciate the response @Brian Morrissey 

How would I simply go about removing this server from the update template altogether? (I'm not sure who set them up or even if they are doing anything)

On the service profile in UCSM you could unbind it from the template (keep in my that any changes to the template will no longer automatically propagate back to this specific service profile, normally you would use updating templates so that you can make a change on the template and have it propagate to all the profiles at once)

BrianMorrissey_0-1670012781826.png