Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cross-Compiling Toolchain

Hello,

I apologize, the Yocto project is a bit new to me but does Cisco provide a cross compiling toolchain for Yocto on IOx? None of the documentation I could find specifically mentions the best way to compile for the target from Linux or Windows. The docs all just say transfer your binary to the target. I do understand how to build cross compilers using crosstool-ng and have made one for this target which seems to work but I would be more comfortable with a vendor provided toolchain if it exists. Does Cisco provide this or is it expected that developers build themselves if needed?

It would be helpful in general if more documentation was provided on the expected build process in my opinion, however, I may just be missing something in this community.

Thanks!

Graham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mathaker
Level 5
Level 5

Graham,

Cisco does not provide cross-compiling tools for the Yocto Linux environment.  It is a 32-bit x86 linux with kernel 3.8 and standard libraries. Any 32-bit binary compiled on a similar Linux version should work on Yocto as well.  We also recommend that you use the VM or ISO images we provide to build the apps as these images not only provide the Yocto environment but also emulate the resources available on the target.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mathaker
Level 5
Level 5

Graham,

Cisco does not provide cross-compiling tools for the Yocto Linux environment.  It is a 32-bit x86 linux with kernel 3.8 and standard libraries. Any 32-bit binary compiled on a similar Linux version should work on Yocto as well.  We also recommend that you use the VM or ISO images we provide to build the apps as these images not only provide the Yocto environment but also emulate the resources available on the target.  Thanks.

Thanks Malay. No problem, we have internally build a cross compiling toolchain that allows for compiling in Windows targeting the guest OS on IOx that could be made available if somebody else were to be interested in such a thing. Please contact me if this is something that is useful for the community.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: