Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IR1101 Application Hosting: Console and Network

Hi everyone!

I am following the Tutorial: Build Sample Docker Type C Based Simple App (https://developer.cisco.com/docs/iox/#!tutorial-build-sample-docker-type-c-based-simple-app/overview), and all the steps described in the tutorial work, except the last one: 'Access the app console'.

When I try to run the command 'ioxclient app console demoapp' I get the following answer: 'Error processing command. Server returned 501'. Besides that, in WebUI in the 'Cisco IOx Local Manager' in the 'App-info' tab, in the 'App Access' table, the 'Console Access' information is shown as 'N/A'.

Is there anything, beyond what is described in the tutorial, that should be configured in the IR1101, or in the package descriptor file, to enable access to the application console?

Another thing that seems strange to me is the information related to the network when I execute the 'show app-hosting detail' command as shown below:

Router#show app-hosting detail
App id : demoapp
Owner : ioxui
State : RUNNING
Application
Type : docker
Name : SampleNodeApp
Version : 1.0
Description : Simple Docker Style C Application
Path :
Activated profile name : c1.tiny

Resource reservation
Memory : 32 MB
Disk : 10 MB
CPU : 100 units

Attached devices
Type Name Alias
---------------------------------------------
serial/shell iox_console_shell serial0
serial/aux iox_console_aux serial1
serial/syslog iox_syslog serial2
serial/trace iox_trace serial3

Network interfaces
---------------------------------------
eth0:
MAC address : 52:54:dd:95:3c:c9

Shouldn't information related to the IP address be displayed? I used the following commands to configure the VirtualPortGroup:

Router#configure terminal
Router(config)#interface virtualportgroup 0
Device(config-if)#ip address 10.1.1.1 255.0.0.0
Device(config-if)#end

Router#configure terminal
Router(config)#app-hosting appid demoapp
Router(config-app-hosting)#app-vnic gateway0 virtualportgroup 0 guest-interface 0
Router(config-app-hosting-gateway0)#guest-ipaddress 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.0.0.0
Router(config-app-hosting-gateway0)#app-default-gateway 10.1.1.1 guest-interface 0
Router(config-app-hosting)#end

Thanks in advance,
Andre Chrcanovic

2 Replies 2

suressan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For IOS-XE based platforms, one needs to use IOS CLI command "app-hosting connect appid <appname> session" to get access to docker container /bin/sh shell.

Refer this IR1101 specific apphosting configuration guide to see if it addresses ur networking issue - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1101/software/configuration/guide/b_IR1101config/b_IR1101config_chapter_010001.html#ref_1002363

Hi suressan,

Thanks for the quick response. Regarding the issue of console access, the IOS CLI command "app-hosting connect ..." worked.

Regarding the network issue, I received the IR1101 with the following interface configuration already done (information extracted from the result of executing the 'show interface' command):

GigabitEthernet0/0/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down (disabled)

FastEthernet0/0/1 is up, line protocol is up (connected)

FastEthernet0/0/2 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

FastEthernet0/0/3 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

FastEthernet0/0/4 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Async0/2/0 is up, line protocol is down

Vlan1 is up, line protocol is up , Autostate Enabled

Internet address is 192.168.0.50/24

The device is connected to the LAN using the first FastEthernet port, and it´s IP address is 192.168.0.50. How should I modify the configuration example shown in the documentation you indicated to me, to suit my scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Andre Chrcanovic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: