cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IR809 IOx application fail and debug

HarryDing0224
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C Docker application on IR809. This application is used to receive socket from a device and send it to the database. The app will receive more than 2 messages (each message contains less than 200 characters) in 1 second.

This docker application works fine locally on my develop machine with the command:

CMD "/opt/apps/test3" 

But deployed on 809, this application stopped processing after it received about 30 messages, while the application was still in running status.

I try to to debug this problem through the following steps:

1. I have a loop application "loop_apps"
  2. I changed the target option in package.yaml from
    # Specify runtime and startup
      startup:
        rootfs: rootfs.tar
        target: ["/opt/apps/test3"]
    to
    # Specify runtime and startup
      startup:
        rootfs: rootfs.tar
        target: ["/opt/apps/loop_app"]
  3. After running this application on IR809, I console to this app with
    $ ioxclient app console test
  4. I manually run "/opt/apps/test3"
  5. Then I found that it worked fine with my manual start.

Question:

I am confused that on IR809, this app can't keep working by auto start, but it can work fine by manual start.

I would like to know:

1. What is the possible cause of this problem ? Is there any difference between IOx docker on IR809 and local docker on my develop machine ? If so, is there any other specific configuration I need to pay attention to ?
  2. This app will print something for debug on terminal and for example I can debug them on my dev machine by using
    docker run -t -p 1500:1500 test809 /opt/apps/test3
    Is there any way for me to monitor the terminal print of the app on IOx by auto start ? I think this will help me to debug the app (I have tried to print some debug information in a file, but I think it was an inefficient way).

Thanks,

Ding

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

suressan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are hitting this issue - https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-iox-discussions/paas-python-app-hangs-until-ioxclient-app-console-done-which/td-p/3780169

We do have a way to retrieve logs printed on terminal console from watchdog.log file when you activate the docker app in "debug mode". 

$ ioxclient app activate <appname> --debug

OR

Check box "debug" in Local Manager activation page.

You can find the watchdog.log from app logs directory.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

suressan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are hitting this issue - https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-iox-discussions/paas-python-app-hangs-until-ioxclient-app-console-done-which/td-p/3780169

We do have a way to retrieve logs printed on terminal console from watchdog.log file when you activate the docker app in "debug mode". 

$ ioxclient app activate <appname> --debug

OR

Check box "debug" in Local Manager activation page.

You can find the watchdog.log from app logs directory.

Thanks for you prompt reply, suressan. Maybe that is the problem and I will try it later.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: