cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

An interesting observation

pgaltieri
Level 1
Level 1

I was looking at the settings for the CML 2 VM, and under options it shows the OS version as CentOS 5 and earlier for 64 bit.  However, the OS is actually CentOS Linux 8 (Core) as indicated in the Web UI.  I changed the OS version in the VM and I'm getting different behavior.  Before every time I rebooted the VM dnsmasq would no longer run causing any simulation with an external connector to fail since devices would no longer get addresses via dhcp.  Since the change I have rebooted several times and dnsmasq is always running on reboot.  Also before the change whenever I imported a lab and started it none of the links would come up, that is now not happening anymore.  I'm curious to know if anyone else seen if the VM shows the OS as CentOS 5 and earlier and if changing it to CentOS 8 results in any changed behavior.

Paolo

4 Replies 4

Martin L
VIP
VIP

how did you change the OS version in the VM? What is your VM ware Player version or Pro version? doesn't it depend on vm ware version? I mean how accurate VM recognize your OS should be related to version of VM; older VM version will not recognize newer OS (OS released after vm).
I thought CML IP problem is related to Windows; I could be wrong; I had such issue once; it resolved itself after VM ware player and Window upgrade. *since I did both updates at the same time, not exactly sure which one help.

I'm running VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.6, this is the current version.  The way I changed  the OS version is to go to settings->options and change the OS listed under version.  When I import the VM into Workstation Pro there is a check box to upgrade the VM which I always do.  The latest version of Workstation Pro does not recognize the OS version of the VM, but it does allow me to specify the version.

Paolo

not sure if your "changed the OS version" makes any difference; will test it later, will let u know

I was actually thinking about "Upgrade this vm" option to match vm build to newer vm installation, see picture

vmware upgrade.PNG

I get that message every time I import the CML 2 VM.  I always go ahead and do it and modify the VM as opposed to making a clone.  Don't know what effect the upgrade has on the CML 2 behavior.

Paolo