Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed to start node ext-conn-1 Unable to define node

Tom -K
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using CML 2.1 on VMware Workstation and have added an second NIC to the CML appliance.

The second NIC should be used to connect a second external connector which uses an added bridge.

The added bridge is named brigde100 and it has an IP address (DHCP) which uses the second adapter and has a carrier.

It is possible to ping  the IP address form an other VMware appliance.

When I try to start the second bridge the message "Failed to start node ext-conn-1 Unable to define node( invalid external connector configuration) shows up.

Do I have to add a Vlan to the second NIC and use it as a parent? I have tried to use a second bridge with the first Nic which works fine so it is possible to use more than one bridge .

4 Replies 4

Ollie Y
Level 1
Level 1

Could you post a screenshot of the "edit config" tab as this should work? It certainly works in my ESXi lab.

I Know it works with ESXi , there are various examples available how to setup a second bridge.

Due this fact and the lack of information about VMware workstation and CML I consider to use ESXi instead of Workstation.

ESXi uses the tag 4095 to use Trunk on an interface of group, there is nothing written about Workstation an the availability to use trunking with 4095.

As we speak I have the second bridge enable, the second NIC is also set with bridge mode in the global network configuration on VMware workstation.

The bridge is up unfortunately it isn't possible to connect to the devices in my home network.

I' aim to connect through my home network into CML to use then as points for external connectivity e.g. ISE , FTD, ASA ( VMware appliances)

thanks in advance for your reply

I'm not using a trunk with my ESXi host, I have 2 CML interfaces - lets say connected to vlan 5 and one to vlan 10.

If you setup private networks / vlans in workstation I see no reason why this wouldn't replicate that environment without a trunk, but I certainly can't guarantee it as Workstation doesn't function the same.

Sorry to not be much help, however I'm trying. I'm thinking you have done this 100 times, but thought I'd add that I'd certainly recommend checking the edit config tab  on the external connection and make sure your set to "custom" and you have typed the bridge name correctly.

Tom -K
Level 1
Level 1

yes is did, I 'm almost close to the solution.:-) the second external connection established and up and running so the next thing to do is configure both sides correctly.