cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any chance of a content sharing FPS increase in a future release?

I've got several customers that love proximity but are forced to use cables and/or third party wireless sharing solutions due to the 5 FPS limitation.  Even an increase to something around 15 FPS would probably be enough to have them not need the cable anymore.

I'd also be interested in knowing why this limitation exists (e.g. bandwidth, processing power etc) as I'm sure there's a reason, I'm just not sure what it is.

2 Replies 2

mneergaa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The current transmission method has too high overhead; both in terms of CPU and bandwidth consumption. There is little we could do to increase the frame rate without a large effort. I wish we could promise something, but there are other features on the way that have priority for now.

My theory/thinking kinda backs that up

They would have to deploy something that would work across all of their systems that support CE8 and 9. 

If you look at the processor on an SX20 for instance, it runs an ARM processor. Plus they are running a super old version of the Linux kernel (2.6.37) which was released in 2011 (and this is of CE 9.7.1) so you wouldn't get any optimizations built into later kernels (if it actually would help, which is probably not)

I'm pretty sure they have a hardware encoder in it (how else could they do H.264 at 1080p?), so maybe it would be possible to utilize that instead of doing it all on the processor.

I'm sure the latest codecs have MUCH faster processors on them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: