Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with Dell Latitude 5285 Proximity Application - Microphone not Working

We've got a fleet of Dell Latitude 5285 laptops, all of which are having an issue whereby the Cisco proximity application says "Your microphone is not working" even though you can see the audio levels go up and down on the microphone in the "recording devices" window.

My understanding is that if this was an issue with frequency range, the app would work but we just couldn't pair with anything, whereas in this instance the "microphone not working" error comes up immediately, it doesn't even try and pair.

Tried different drivers, BIOS update, Cisco Proximity 2.0.7 and 2.0.8 and installing Proximity straight from a fresh Win10 installation but no change.

Any ideas?

34 Replies 34

Have checked 2 of our XPS laptops post ver3 update, proximity is working now, thanks.

alawrence11
Level 1
Level 1

Proximity version 3.0 does not fix the issue with the Dell 5290 2 in 1 laptop.  The program now sees the computer has a microphone, but it will not detect any of the cisco systems.  I've verified it does work on version 3.0, on a normal laptop.

I had just encountered this problem on a Dell Latitude E7450.  After updating drivers and installing the Proximity 3.0 software I was still having a problem finding the microphone.  As it turns out, my issue was not having App Privacy enabled for the microphone.  Once I turned it on, Proximity worked as advertised.

Can you elaborate on what you are referring to with "App Privacy"? Curious as to the steps you took to resolve this. I appreciate any insight you can offer.

markanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Steps to fix the microphone on Dell Latitude:
1. Press Start button.
2. Then select Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
3. Then turn on Allow apps to access your microphone.
4. Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
5. Select the “Recording Audio” troubleshooter.
6. Click “Run the Troubleshooter,” and follow the instructions on your screen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: