Views
Helpful
Replies

Proximity Mass Deployment

gsheppar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi team,

We are trying to test mass install of Proximity and hitting a problem. Post installation you receive the popup to accept the EULA. Normally you must accept the EULA prior to installing the software but in this case with Proximity it displays post install. I’ve tried all the known PROPERTIES normally used to accept the EULA while performing a silent install through command line but this MSI will not accept them. Also, I cannot locate any reference to EULA or ACCEPT_EULA in the Property Table of the MSI. Can you help us figure out how to do this? 

Thanks,

Graham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mneergaa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We have made improvements to our msi packaging, and mass deployment should now be easier. Please check the guide at https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/mobile-applications-documents/windows-mass-deployment-guide-new-as-of-version-2-0-8/ta-p/3314009

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

mneergaa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For now the EULA dialog is only implemented in the client, and it is not possible to accept it as an MSI property. Whether or not the EULA is accepted is only stored in the user hive of the registry.

We might consider changing this. Are you deploying per-user or per-system? Which tool are you using?

We use System Center Configuration Manager 2012 to deploy software. The Proximity Package is utilizing an Application Model with the Deployment Type configured to execute the MSI with user rights (per user) since it installs to the user profile not requiring admin rights.

The command line we are utilizing is msiexec /i "Proximity.msi" /qn which successfully installs without error but then prompts with a EULA requirement afterwards. Usually this is suppressed and accepted by default when performing silent installation of MSI.

Don't know if or when we will implement accepting the EULA at installation. Might be difficult given the dual nature of the package. A possible workaround would be installing a registry file with the relevant registry values, exported from a machine where the EULA was accepted. That way you could provision other settings as well; disable the first-time wizard or automatic startup, should you wish to do so.

Note that Proximity.msi is a dual-mode package. To force installing as user, specify ALLUSERS and MSIINSTALLPERUSER:

msiexec /i Proximity.msi [/passive|/quiet|] MSIINSTALLPERUSER=1 ALLUSERS=2

To force system-wide install, use:

msiexec /i Proximity.msi [/passive|/quiet|] ALLUSERS=1

You can also choose to add a desktop icon by setting INSTALLEVEL=100

Note that per-user installs *will* auto update. If you do not wish this behaviour you *must* deploy system-wide.

Hello Graham,

Were you able to get around this issue.  We're attempting to package the latest version of Proximity with SCCM and running into the same problem.

Steve

Hello,

Were you able to come up with a solution here?

I second and third this.

We do NOT allow staff to accept EULAs on behalf of the organization.

Does CISCO not have a corporate legal team to review this?

Supply a flag, or corporate licensing terms and a modified installer for members of this site tied to a contract.

This is how i Over ame the problem

1.First accept the Eula on a test machine,Export the registry

2. msiexec /i Depot\Proximity.msi /qn

3. taskkill.exe /IM proximity.exe /f   "to kill the Eula prompt no worries since install is finish"

4.Echo to the user to restart in order to use proximity,if they don't they have to accept manually once opened.

5.import the registry via active setup during user login so that settings are already applied when program is opened 

Now - if you are not sure about activesetup,please read about to empower yourself and to learn more.

This is how Over came the problem

1.First accept the Eula,Export the registry

2. msiexec /i Depot\Proximity.msi /qn

3. taskkill.exe /IM proximity.exe /f   "to kill the Eula prompt no worries since install is finish"

4.Echo to the user to restart in order to use proximity,if they don't they have to accept manually once opened.

5.import the registry via active setup during user login so that settings are already applied when program is opened 

Now - if you are not sure about activesetup,please read about to empower yourself and to learn more.

I can think of a handful of EULA terms that have been circumvented with hooks to allow silent deployment.

msiexec /i "AnyEnterpriseTool.msi" /passive EULAACCEPT=YES

It would be nice to see some updates Cisco

Same subject, but regarding the setting to 'start on login'.  We're having difficulty disabling this and finding this in the registry.  

mneergaa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We have made improvements to our msi packaging, and mass deployment should now be easier. Please check the guide at https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/mobile-applications-documents/windows-mass-deployment-guide-new-as-of-version-2-0-8/ta-p/3314009

thanks this is good stuff. thumbs up

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: