cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proximity Never Finds Video System on Windows 7

golmsted
Level 4
Level 4

I am a Windows 7 user (don't hate).  I excitedly installed Proximity looking forward to using (Cisco Proximity desktop-1.0.0-Alpha17), but it just never finds a Video System.  It just is grayed out and reads: "Looking for video systems...":

I can't seem to figure it out.  Unfortunately has been useless to me.  I know the TP systems I try work, because other Mac users connect just fine.  :(

Any ideas?!?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Can you check if your microphone has some extra features enabled like "Microphone effects" and turn those off. 

/Magnus

View solution in original post

The Proximty for Desktop releases will only work with CE8.0, if you try to connect to a TC based endpoint, you'll get a notice that it isn't compatiable.  As Steve has suggested, you need to upgrade your endpoint to CE8.0.  Since you're running TC7, you don't need a release key to upgrade the endpoint, but you do need an active service contract to download the software from Cisco's website.

Sometimes a Windows laptop might not detect the ultrasound signal from the endpoint, this is due to the computer's microphone.  It's documented in the Proximity Release Notes as well as in the Proximity for Windows Beta Notes with some suggestions for Windows users.

Also, the Windows Proximity client is 64-bit only, documented in the release notes.

View solution in original post

36 Replies 36

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Can you check if your microphone has some extra features enabled like "Microphone effects" and turn those off. 

/Magnus

Oh...  Does the Proximity utilize my microphone for finding a Video System?  I have my Microphone always muted (and my sound).  I do this so I don't accidentally transmit things to people in either direction without me knowing it.   Some (paranoid) people do this too because they think people listen in on them all the time.  If Proximity utilizes these resources you may need to make that really obvious.  You may have and I just missed it.  I am going to enable my mic and go see if it picks up.

Thanks for the help!

Really good point, @golmsted

I think it would be possible to detect if the mic is muted (hardware mute). If that is the case, we should inform the user about this, similar to how we do it on iOS.

/Henrik

Actually @henrikba, after I got this working (by turning off the Sound Effects) I experimented and found that it worked even when the microphone was muted.  Not sure if that is a scary thing or not, but the mute had no effect.

Sadly, after I got it to actually recognize, I was getting a "Your software version is out of sync with your TP System message."  Today when I fired up, I am getting this:

I should just give up on Windows.  :)

Hi all,

I've search for Intellegent Proximity software for Windows and OSX (Beta version),

but I can't find it,

Can you please share the download link for those Intellegent Proximity software for Windows and OSX (Beta version) if you have it.

Ovindo

As far as I know, it is not released anywhere, even in beta.

I did hear that it would be released in the next 1-2 months.

I'm waiting for it, too.

This thread was started by a Cisco employee who has access to the early versions. The alpha or beta versions are not available to the public yet. The clients will be released together with the Collaboration Endpoint Software.

/Magnus

What is the estimated ETA of release of this client to the public? It has been a month since the last post.

Hi the current target is mid/end of june.

/Magnus

Has there been any further update on this yet?

Hi

The current target is now set to mid October 2015.

/Magnus

Any day :) It would be great if they added this beta to the collaboration user space like they do for Jabber before RC.

Yes, it would be great if they added the Windows client beta to the collaboration user space like Jabber, Jabber Guest and other products, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a link to a YouTube of Rowan from 2013 where he said Proximity would be released 'shortly' (he said by the end of the year) and that it was running on the endpoint in his office and he loved it.

I'm tempted to email him and ask if I can get a copy. It's late in 2015 and we still have nothing to show for it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: