cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Send content to PC via proximity

chris.youngberg
Level 1
Level 1

iPhones and iPads have the ability to view content being shared. Does the PC client also have this ability? So far I can only send content, not receive it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This was the answer I received from my sales team, so at least communications within cisco are working!

I must say that this is very disappointing.    I understand the push to the cloud, and that ultimately the spark user experience will be better, but that should not mean compromising the technology we are deploying today.

The particular issue here is that I have to explain to executives that "you can view on a phone or tablet, but only send from a PC or laptop".  Then I have to explain "Sorry, the surface pro is a PC, not a tablet".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

robray_sc
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, I don't understand why laptops can only share content. I have alot of users that just want to view the content on their laptop (especially in a training room layout).  Limiting this to only mobile devices is major issue.

Any roadmap to get laptops (OS X and Windows) to support viewing content??

We really should have the same experience (control, view, share) on all devices (iOS, Android, OS X and Windows).

This stuff is why I have to stay on Crestron Air Media (plus it plays audio).

Agree with the statements above.  My Sr Management shake their heads in disbelief when I told them there laptops were one way only.  Content Creation not consumption.

This needs to be added

Hi chris, robray_sc and kkelly,

would definitely agree that it could be handy to have presentation receive on laptops. We started out the development with a "mobile first" mindset, but realized quickly that the device predominantly used in meeting rooms is still the laptop.

Right now, we have shifted resources to develop more on Spark wireless sharing. Here, we are addressing a lot of the griefs on Proximity;

• better network traversal so you do not have to be on the same IP network as the video system
  • higher frame rate on sharing
  • app- and window sharing in addition to full-screen sharing
  • in the future also including audio in the share

We also aim to have feature parity across the clients (Win, OS X, iOS, Android).

This also means we spend less cycles on Proximity. We keep fixing bugs and ship releases every few months. But we do not have a lot of new features on the roadmap. At the same time, we are working on a better story for customers currently using prem-registered systems, and how we could leverage some of the product improvements in Spark in a hybrid environment.

Best regards,
Henrik

This was the answer I received from my sales team, so at least communications within cisco are working!

I must say that this is very disappointing.    I understand the push to the cloud, and that ultimately the spark user experience will be better, but that should not mean compromising the technology we are deploying today.

The particular issue here is that I have to explain to executives that "you can view on a phone or tablet, but only send from a PC or laptop".  Then I have to explain "Sorry, the surface pro is a PC, not a tablet".