cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding Wireless Mac Address

Xtionfuse
Level 1
Level 1

I've just borrowed a cisco UCS C210 server from a friend, to learn and booted it up without internet connectivity. Do I have to change mac address or anything to ensure that it doesn't reconnect to the server?  Or can you someone, please let me know how would a ultimate beginner would go about learning it on test device? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi 

Are you going to connect the server to the existing office network for your learning? I won't advise that .. I would have it standalone if you are using for learning. 

By default, the server network card (NIC) is set to DHCP, by default the server would try to get IP address from the DHCP server. I think, this what you mean if it will go back on the office network and changing the MAC address.

You can wipe the server to factory default with below commands and then configure as standalone with static IP address. 

UCS-A# connect local-mgmt
UCS-A(local-mgmt)# erase configuration
All UCS configurations will be erased and system will reboot. Are you sure? (yes/no): yes

Have a look at this document for initial setup - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C210M1/install/C210M1/install.html#42934

As you said 'ultimate beginner' .. just wondering if someone from your IT team can assist you. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Xtionfuse wrote:

Do I have to change mac address or anything to ensure that it doesn't reconnect to the server?

Hi 

What do you mean 'reconnect to the server'?

You don't need internet connectivity to configure it. 

Use CIMC - https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/gui/config/guide/1.5/b_Cisco_UCS_C-series_GUI_Configuration_Guide.151_chapter_01.html

Firstly, thanks for thanks for the reply. Just to brief you about this, this was scrapped server from our IT team and I borrowed it. It possibly was configured in office network(Not really sure of the insights ). I'll be connecting this to the same office network, in my cubical. 

Question : Do I have to worry about this going on network or create any issues?  

I am ultimate beginner. How would you go about setting this up if you were in my situation ?

PS: Someone did mention that I'll have to change Mac of this server, or it will go back on the same network, where it was initially configured. 

Hi 

Are you going to connect the server to the existing office network for your learning? I won't advise that .. I would have it standalone if you are using for learning. 

By default, the server network card (NIC) is set to DHCP, by default the server would try to get IP address from the DHCP server. I think, this what you mean if it will go back on the office network and changing the MAC address.

You can wipe the server to factory default with below commands and then configure as standalone with static IP address. 

UCS-A# connect local-mgmt
UCS-A(local-mgmt)# erase configuration
All UCS configurations will be erased and system will reboot. Are you sure? (yes/no): yes

Have a look at this document for initial setup - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C210M1/install/C210M1/install.html#42934

As you said 'ultimate beginner' .. just wondering if someone from your IT team can assist you. 

Our IT team is inaccessible to check for any help. I'll go through the guide once and follow it. 

Thank you so much for your help!