cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change local admin password

hulonjo1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not that great in the networking field and my Network admin quit today. so I need to change the admin password on all of out cisco devices. I tried searching for how to change the password and all I could find is the enable password. can some one also help me with command to change the password?

2 Replies 2

hamedfazelit
Level 1
Level 1

To change the admin password (local user account) on a Cisco switch, you'll want to modify the password for a user account, not just the enable password.

Here’s how you can do it:

Access the switch:

Connect to your switch using a console connection, SSH, or Telnet.
Enter global configuration mode:

enable
configure terminal
Change the password for the admin account:

If your admin account is called admin, you can use the following commands:

username admin privilege 15 secret NEW_PASSWORD
Replace NEW_PASSWORD with the new password you want.

Save the changes: After making the change, you should save the configuration so it persists after a reboot:

write memory
Exit configuration mode:

exit
If you don’t have a specific admin account but use the enable password for privileged access, then this is the password you might want to change:

enable secret NEW_ENABLE_PASSWORD
After changing the password(s), test the login with the new credentials to ensure everything works  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally rather changing the admin password and lock yourself if that go wrong.

Create new admin user account :

example :

username newusername privilege 15 secret 5 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

and try to login from new user account and test all working, then disable or remove old account with no command and save the config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help