cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Cisco 6807 VSS upgrading

Hi,

We are trying to upgrade our 6807 VSS switches to 15.5(1) sy4, we run now on version 15.2(1)SY7.
As far as we know that we cannot run ISSU, thus we tried with an upgrade via changing the boot parameter.
We reboot after changing the boot command and it seems as the upgrading process go through, however we see a warning messages in the log that state :

Jan 16 06:18:58.403: %C6K_PLATFORM-DFC1-2-CRITICAL_FPGA_UPGRADE:
************************ !! UPDATE REQUIRED !! ************************

Critical firmware upgrade available for Module: 1.
Please refer Software release documentation for more information.

We followed some instructions that guided us to run two or more commands of upgrading the FPGA as following :

upgrade winters-flash switch switch-number slot slot-number bundled-image
hw-module switch switch-no module module-no reset

Still we couldn't get rid of the warning messaegs, we get the from module 1 and module 2 on both switches.

Any idea ? is this an operation critical message ? we don't want to risk starting upgrading in our production network.

Thank you in advanced !

Regards

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

I had the same problem. But now I think I found the solution.

My system is:

2x 6807 with each box having 2x SUP-6T and in slot1 + slot2 identical C6800-16P10G line cards.

My intention was to build a quad-SUP VSS system with identical HW and SW which is a must. SUPs has out of the box 15.5(1)SY1 version, so I downloaded the 15.5(1)SY4, and the most recent ROMMON. 

Procedure:

1. Upgrade ROMMON on SUP1, force-switchover

2. Upgrade ROMMON on SUP2, force-switchover

3. After the system booted up stable to the SY1, I formatted bootdisk and slavebootdisk

4. Copied SY4 to both bootdisk and slavebootdisk and set the boot variable to bootdisk:...SY4.bin

5. Force-switchover -> SUP1 gets upgraded after 30mins 

6. Force-switchover -> SUP2 gets upgraded after 30mins

Both SUPs are in hot-standby with SY4

7. Upgraded Line-card1 gold region with: upgrade winters-flash slot 1 bundled-image gold

NOTE, that the "gold" keyword is HIDDEN!!!

8. Upgraded Line-card1 Upgrade region with: upgrade winters-flash slot 1 bundled-image

9. Reset Line-card1: hw-module module 1 reset

10. Steps 7-9 repeat for Line-card2

THANK YOU CISCO for a great documentation which wasted at least 2 hours of labor and looks like that other people suffered the same problem