Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime 3.9 ISO Install

pjdouglas42
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm planning to carry out an ISO install on our Gen 2 appliance.

The 3.9 ISO image is too big to burn onto a standard DVD so I have created a usb key with the image.

Is an ISO install from a memory key support as in the appliance hardware guide only dvd mount options are discussed and usb memory keys are not mention in the boot options.

Thanks

Paul

10 Replies 10

Thanks Balaji,

What is CIMC ? 

Thanks Balaji,

So the CIMC is the admin web interface ? 

This is the secondary server that I am upgrading to 3.9 having already done an in line upgrade of our primary to 3.7 from 3.4.

If you already upgraded from 3.4 to 3.7

take appliance backup, on secondary install fresh 3.9 and test is the backup restore works if that works?

in the maintenance window, do the same steps to Primary.

Do fresh installation on secondary again and join HA to priamry.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks Balaji,

Those are the steps I'm following.

Currently, our secondary is still configured as that. Does this need to be failed over to primary (3.4) first before I upgrade to 3.9 ?

What are the steps for upgrading from ISO from 3.9.

Before I can  install 3.9 from ISO on our secondary server do I need to fail it over to Primary ?

Our live/active server is currently running 3.7 but is no longer in an HA pair as I had to remove the HA config before doing the in line upgrade to 3.7 last week.

My next step is to upgrade the secondary server to 3.9 from ISO which is currently still configured as secondary.

If I need to fail the secondary over to primary before upgrading to 3.9 i'm assuming this wont cause any issues given we have an active 3.7 build even thought they are no longer configured as a HA pair ?

Thanks

High level :

1. You need to break the HA, make it standalone, check the ha config before doing anything, it should no ha configured.

2. take the appliance backup and application backup ( any License backup from Primary)

3. for testing application backup work as expected, on secondary server restore (no has here) by installing 3.9 ISO image (as a standalone mode), this stage, Primary working as alone in the production.

4. Once you are confirmed backup is working.

5. Take the downtime, install ISO on primary and restore the backup, and sync the devices and work all as expected.

6. then install fresh install of 3.9 on secondary (while installing you can join primary as part of the installation)

I Hope, is this making sense?

BB

Thanks Balaji,

The servers are currently not in a HA pair, I already broke them to upgrade the primary to 3.7 in line upgrade.

This server is now our production server and is standalone.

My goal is to upgrade to 3.9.

Upgrade the secondary box to 3.9, and then take a backup from 3,7 to restore to the 3.9 build.

Once this is done then I can upgrade our standalone box from 3.7 to 3.9 and then put them in HA configuration.

Doing it this way I can keep the 3.7 build as our production server while I re-build the secondary from the ISO image to 3.9. This then can become our production server while I re-build the 3.7 from ISO to 3.9.

Is this plan ok ?

That also works, if that is comfortable. Prime is just an orchestration tool, does not harm any network data path here, make sure you re-sync all devices.

BB