Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime displays WPA3 clients authentication type as unknown

mark-daniel
Level 1
Level 1

C9800-80-K9 17.9.2
VM Prime 3.10.2 (1.0.5)
A client is using Policy Type WPA3, but Cisco Prime is unable to determine the WPA3 identification.
Prime - Monitor/Monitoring Tools/Clients and Users... the authentication Type is displayed as "unknown" instead of WPA3
Clients using Policy Type WPA2 are displayed as WPA2 correctly

So why do we see unknown instead of the WPA3?

5 Replies 5

mark-daniel
Level 1
Level 1

I have reproduced this issue in a LAB and so raised this issue with TAC. TAC also reproduced the issue and so escalated it to the development engineering team and a defect has been filed for this issue: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwd97776

How can it be that the status of this BUG is "fixed"

Both myself and Cisco recreated this in a LAB and had the same results.

Symptom: When a user checks the clients with other Policy Types like Not Available or WPA1 the Authentication Type column data displays as expected. For policy type 7, the Authentication Type should be WPA3.

Conditions: This was observed in Prime Infrastructure 3.10.2 managing a Catalyst 9800 WLC.

Workaround: At this time there is no workaround.

• Created Date
  • Jan 04, 2023
  • Last Modified
  • Jun 07, 2023
  • Status
  • Fixed           <===== I am not sure this can be in "FIXED" status if the issue still exists.
  • Severity
  • 3 Moderate

Product (1 of 1)
Cisco Prime Infrastructure
Known Affected Releases (1 of 1)
Known Fixed Releases (0)
No Records Found

I've seen this before with Cisco bugs, we have no way of knowing the problem is actually resolved or just happens to be working now only to break in the future.

It is interesting that DNAC avoids the original problem by not showing any security policy information for clients. I guess the less information they provide the less they can break.

mark-daniel
Level 1
Level 1

I have an update from Cisco to say that this caveat is fixed in version PI 3.10.4

I plan to check this is a LAB, but looks promising.

mark-daniel
Level 1
Level 1

The release notes for PI 3.10.4 state that Caveat has been resolved.

But we have tested this in a LAB and found the symptoms are the same....

markdaniel_0-1690795029513.png

went from 10 >>>> 10.2 >>>> 10.4>>>> 10.4 System Patch

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.10.4 Release Notes

Resolved Caveats
The following caveats were resolved in Prime Infrastructure Release 3.10.4

CSCwd97776  Authentication Type displays as unknown for clients with WPA3 authentication

So where do we go from here, if Cisco have announced it is fixed?