cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Network Devices External Backup

AbuElias
Level 1
Level 1

I've been trying to backup the configuration files of the network devices I have on Cisco Prime 3.8, but this has never worked with me. I have created an SFTP repository; however when I run the Device Config Backup-External job under System Jobs/Infrastructure section, I keep getting failure result. When I navigate to Inventory/Configuration Archive and click on Backup to Repository button, I select the proper SFTP server and check to upload the recent configuration file. The job runs then for 1 second and fails.

To confirm I'm not having any connectivity issues to the SFTP server, I tried copying the running and start-up configuration files from the Prime Application and I was able to see both files on the SFTP server. Also, there is a job runs weekly to backup the Prime Application configuration to another SFTP repository and I have not noticed any issues with it.

What could I have missed for not getting the network devices configuration backed up?

Thanks in advance for any help

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to Look at the SFTP Server and see Logs what is wrong ?

Also, there is a job runs weekly to backup the Prime Application configuration to another SFTP repository and I have not noticed any issues with it.

For testing why not use this SFTP and confirm is that works ? never seen this behaviour, other than SFTP side.

from cli are you able to retrieve information from show repos SFTP ? then it should work as expected.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

AbuElias
Level 1
Level 1

I tried two SFTP servers. Both are hosted behind firewalls. I don't believe the issue on the SFTP server side, because I can successfully copy the running configuration from the Prime itself to the SFTP server with no issue. The only issue is with the archived config files of the network devices, which indicates the issue from the Prime. When I run show repo REPO_NAME from cli I can see the running configuration files of Cisco Prime.

AbuElias
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE: When I have checked the Device Config Backup-External job under Job Dashboard section, I noticed the reason of failure is "No repository configured for exporting the device configuration"!! Also, when I tried running the job, the Prime has not attempted to send traffic to the SFTP server. This was clear based on the logs I went through on the SFTP server.

Is there a different way to configure repositories than the well known one?

I had the same problem and solved it editing the job and enabling the option "Encrypt exported files using GnuPG" and setting an Encrypt Password