cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router 1760-failure to recover enable secret password and break sequence to access ROMMON Mode

DM32830067
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Router 1760-failure to recover enable secret password and break sequence to access ROMMON Mode

Hi,

I have Cisco Router 1760 -Enable Secret Password has been lost and I want to give a Break Sequence via Putty. But, I can not get access in ROMMON Mode. I tried all Break Sequences- BREAK, CTRL=BREAK+CTRL+SHIFT+6, CTRL+B, CTRL+A, etc.etc. And, eventually, Router boots up Normally in User Mode, which asks me the password in Encrypted Mode and I successfully enters in User Mode, but not in Privilege Mode. Basically, I have been locked out and I can not access my router.

I am NOT worrying about any kind of loss of configuration because It has no IP address assigned at all either for telnetting or even normal routing purpose.

So, either how can I recover my Enable Secret Password or How Can I enter into ROMMON Mode. Please, provide help in details.

Is there any way that I can access my Current configuration ,or, is there any FLASH level solution which can help me to CRACK the password.

Thank you in advance,

D.M.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is reset methods, do whcih ever suitable for you :

https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/cisco/cisco-1760-factory-reset/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

Thanks for your help. But, while following steps on- 

How To Reset Cisco 1760 Router Using Router Commands  :

1. First switch on your Cisco Router.
  2. Then, connect your PC or Laptop to the console port on your router with the console cable.
  3. After that, power on the router and wait 5 to 7 minutes for the router to finish booting. You can check the lights on the router. When the lights are solid or blink in repeating patterns, the Cisco router is finished booting.
  4. Then, on your laptop or computer, start the terminal emulator program and use it to access your router’s Command Line Interface (CLI).
  5. Next, In the router Command Line Interface (CLI), enter the commands in boldface to erase the existing configuration(Settings) on your Cisco router and reload the factory default settings on the router:

router > enable--------MY ROUTER ASKS FOR Enable Secret PasswordWHICH I FORGOT...
    router# write erase
    Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove or format all configuration files! Continue? [confirm] < Press Enter key >
    router# reload
    Proceed with reload? [confirm] < Press Enter key >
    OR
    Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes|no] no < Press Enter key >
    OR
    Do you want to save the configuration of the AP? [yes|no] no < Press Enter key >

6. Then, Wait until the Reload or Format finishes and a CLI prompt or completion message appears.
  7. After that, Close the terminal emulator window on your Computer or Laptop.
  8. Finally, Power off the router.

At this point, your Cisco router is reset and will boot into its factory default configuration or settings the next time you power it on.

Thanks,

DM

Hi Leo,
Thanks for your suggestion. I applied that before and once again as per your suggestion. I am using Putty and I have Windows. Do you know from where I can get another Terminal Software, which is free and I can use it successfully. I also thought about tel-netting but using CDP I came into know that there is no IP address assignment so I can Telnet and There is no RESET button on 1760 Model of Cisco Router.
Thanks for your help, though.
DM