cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between Cisco IOS® XE Lite and Cisco IOS® XE

mcmib
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody know the difference between Cisco IOS® XE Lite and Cisco IOS® XE?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The C9200 series uses the Cisco IOS® XE Lite operating system. Like @Leo Laohoo and @balaji.bandi mentioned before, the Cisco IOS® XE Lite operating system has the same features as Cisco IOS® XE and a significant difference is that the Cisco IOS® XE Lite operating system doesn't support App Hosting or "containers".

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @mcmib ,

I'm not sure to what exactly you are referring, but I'm thinking you mean the different naming for IOS on the 9200 series vs 9300 series platforms.

On the 9200 series the IOS is named cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04a.SPA.bin for example and on the 9300 series the IOS is named cat9k_iosxe.17.09.05.SPA.bin. It's most probably a naming convention to help distinguish between the two platforms.

HTH

Regards, LG

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most glaring difference is IOS-XE allows the platform to run App Hosting or "containers", like ASAc. 

IOS-XE Lite does not support App Hosting.  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

its same feature set used in different hardware as example :

balajibandi_0-1710373092328.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

mcmib
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your replies!

Sorry, maybe my previous question didn't describe the clearing. Due to the rack, our college is looking for a small-sized enterprise-level switch for students to complete CCNA/CCNP experiments. The current model I can find is C9200CX. However, I noticed in its description that it uses the Cisco IOS® XE Lite operating system. I found no specific information about Cisco IOS® XE Lite on Cisco's official website. So I'm once again asking for your help and advice. Thanks again!

The C9200 series uses the Cisco IOS® XE Lite operating system. Like @Leo Laohoo and @balaji.bandi mentioned before, the Cisco IOS® XE Lite operating system has the same features as Cisco IOS® XE and a significant difference is that the Cisco IOS® XE Lite operating system doesn't support App Hosting or "containers".

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG

Thank you so much for your explanation.

You are welcome.

Regards, LG