Views
Helpful
Replies

Error when trying to Uninstall Cisco Network Assistant

Jbeems87012
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently installed the Cisco Network Assistant onto my computer but no longer have a need for it. When I go to uninstall it, I get the following message:

"A suitable JVM could not be found. Please select a JVM by selecting its java.exe file."

When I click "Ok" it brings up a file browser. I have tried looking in the common files directory, Cisco directory and even downloading a version of Java and nothing seems to work. Has anyone run into this error before and can suggest what I should do to get this uninstalled?

Running Windsor 10 Home 64-bit. 

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

EricPassKEB
Level 1
Level 1

I used the cna-windows-k9-installer-6-0-en.exe installer to try and remove the 6.3.4 version.  During the install of 6.0 it said a previous version was installed and asked if I wanted to uninstall that version first.  I said yes and it did uninstall version 6.3.4.  I am running windows 10 1909.

Eric - Worked on Win 10 Pro 21H1as well. Thanks a treat.

kevinmitnick
Level 1
Level 1

So just to let you know...

I downloaded this file:

cna-windows-k9-installer-6-3-4-en.exe.zip

Then I clicked the installer exe.  The dialogue came up and asked about removing existing versions.

I said NO can clicked CANCEL.

then my already installed version started running agian.  I was getting the JVM failed to start error when launching the application.

(I have 6.3.4 installed)

But I noticed when you run the installer the first thing you see is a java message and starting JVM and then the cisco splash screen.

So i thought "It must be active now" and then I cancelled the install and sure enough when i ran my existing install the splash screen came up and it worked fine.  That is a fast repair if you encounter the issue when running rather than when uninstalling.

Also if you click cancel and then try to uninstall it works too.  i would suggest you do it that way b/c then you know it is using the same uninstall scripting and locations and hive entries as the actual local program unlike their delete procedure on the other installer which may miss items and won't be as clean.

NoFear_MSL
Level 1
Level 1

I Fixed it by installing 6.3.4 version cna-windows-k9-installer-6-3-4-en.exe  like @kevinmitnick in his post below says.

Afterwards I tried uninstalling this version but got the same message.
in the window where you must choose the java.exe, I went to the install location for CNA (in my case c:\program files(x86\cisco\cna) and found the "runtime....." folder. Here was a java.exe and choose that one. It then uninstalled my cna completely.

Sorry I don't know which folders exactly because it worked in one shot..... and could not totally remember the folders.
tl;dr --> search the install folder for cna for a java.exe

Cheers!

seanog
Level 1
Level 1

just search for 'java.exe' in the: program files (x86)\ Cisco Network Assistant folder. Its in a \bin folder

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: