Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware Downgrade Rules for Cisco Small Business Switches

ShahIrwan9489
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

Now my core switch 4507 are running firmware 3.9.2 version. After check the website, 3.8.7 version are recommended. So I try to upload to 3.8.7 version to my core switch. After reload, it cant up and go to rommon mode. After force select 3.8.7, it still up using 3.9.2... Any problem?  

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
did you capture the upgrade via console so you could see what went wrong , could be a number of things but console tells you as it upgrades ?
Did you verify the nd5 was correct before rebooting ?

first thing to do is bring it back up on 3.9.2 , post the outputs from dir flash: and post the show boot as well

Hi,
After upload, i did md5. Everything normal. I follow this step,
1. Upload new firmware
2. check md5
3. boot system (new version)
4. no boot system (old version)
5. write memory
6. Reload.

After reload, suddenly core switch go to rommon mode. I force select the new version. After switch UP, I check still running old version.

Hi
Without the console output all i could assume is the process got stuck somewhere and did not complete , sounds like you had it all checked but without visibility its near impossible to say what happened, it would only be a guess , thats why i log every session when doing something like this through terminal console then at least if it fails you have a starting point to know why

Did it generate a crash file if it went into rommon , thats something you could check as nvram would of wiped normal logs

dir crashinfo:

Directory of crashinfo:/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: