cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer question - cable modem?

mikecressey
Level 1
Level 1

I am newbie to using Packet Tracer. I'm running one of the labs in the Introductory course and it requires using a cable modem. I am running 7.2.2 which is clearly newer than the version of PT used in the tutorial.  I have searched the entire menu and I cannot find a cable modem.  Is it now some other device or is it no longer supported?  If so, is there a substitute that I can use to complete the lab.

Thanks.

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mikecressey 

Try this:

Network Devices > WAN Emulation > Cable Modem

12.jpg

Regards

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mikecressey 

Try this:

Network Devices > WAN Emulation > Cable Modem

12.jpg

Regards

Thank you.  I know I looked there but for some reason I missed it.

I'm trying to follow a Cisco packet tracer tutorial.  I have a Home Wireless router and the cable modem connected to each other (Select the copper straight-through cable in the device-selection box and attach it to the Internet interface of the wireless router and the Port 1 interface of the cable modem).  For some reason, the two devices always show as disconnected (red triangles).  I cannot seem to get them to connect.  I'm sure it's something simple but the lab instructions may be missing something.

Any ideas how I can get these two devices to talk to each other?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi @mikecressey 

Compress your exercise (winzip) and attach it to check.

Regards

Thank you for looking at this.  Here the tutorial and my .pkt file.

Mike

Hi @mikecressey 

All you have to do is switch the wire to a Copper Cross-Over

123.JPG

Regards

Thanks for the help

Thanks Mike.

Thank you

I had this same issue!  I was looking at the picture from the tutorial too, and it says "The wireless router will need a copper straight-through cable to connect to the cable modem." on Page 4 in 2.1.1.5 Packet Tracer – Creating a Simple Network Using Packet Tracer 

How come we have to use cross-over cable instead of straight through?

Also, I tried using FastEthernet on the "Internet" Configuration tab > Connections tab, on the "cable" section, instead of using "Ethernet" I used FastEthernet with Coaxial.  For some reason, if I choose FastEthernet pinging the Cisco.com server doesn't work, but if I go back and switch it to "Ethernet6", the ping does work.  

screenshot_170.png

Any idea why that is? 

Thank you for the awesome help.

THANKS FOR THE HELP MATE...

Hi Im have an issue connecting the cross-over cable, it shows red triangles but when i connect a straight through cable it works how come 

Thank you

Me too. The same trouble. Now is ok thanks. so much.!!!!

Thanks

That did it.  Thank you so much!