Views
Helpful
Replies

Perpetual vs DNA license

Alex Tsonis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a little confused about the perpetual vs the dna license.

I want to buy a C9200L-24T-4G-A switch that will be used for a new implementation concerning multicast streams.

The features that I need include routing, multicast routing, VLANs, etc.

No SDN features will be used/needed.

So, if I am correct, for all the above I am covered by the perpetual license, right?

And also, can I buy the C9200L switch with only the perpetual license (Network Advantage) or a DNA license is mandatory?

Thank you!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dan11
Level 1
Level 1

I gather you probably have your answer by now, but no you can not buy a 9200 switch without a DNA license

View solution in original post

mwalsleben
Level 1
Level 1

When ordering any 9000 switch you can't do it without DNA subscription. But if you configure your switch to not use any addon-license you can dismiss the renew of this initial DNA subscription after the first period od 1/3/5 years.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perpetual vs DNA license

Perpetual  - Lifetime for the basic features of Switch

DNA license  - Term basis, like 1 or 3 or 5 years for DNA supported features.(this can be Essential. network advantage ...etc)

make sense?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

So, just to be clear:

Since we don't need any SDN features, can the switch be purchased with only the perpetual license? 

Licensing

Packaging: Network and Cisco DNA licensing

The Cisco Catalyst 9000 family of switches introduces a new and simplified licensing package in the form of base and add-on licenses.

The perpetual licensing package includes the Network Essentials and Network Advantage licensing options that are tied to the hardware. Between them, the base licensing packages cover switching fundamentals, management automation, troubleshooting, and advanced switching features. These Network licenses are perpetual.

The subscription licensing package includes the Cisco DNA Essentials and Cisco DNA Advantage options. In addition to on-box capabilities, the features available with this package provide Cisco innovations on the switch, as well as on Cisco DNA Center. The Cisco DNA subscription licenses are mandatory at the time of configuration. With Cisco DNA software licenses, customers receive embedded SWSS – which covers 24x7x365 Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support, software release updates, advanced support analytics, and designated service management. This is valid only for the Cisco DNA software subscription stacks (Cisco DNA Essentials, Advantage, and Premier).

more information can be find here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-cat9200-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

BB

Thank you for your feedback.

I have read all the related documentation, but I cannot still figure out if the C9200L can be bought without the DNA license 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure above information still not got you clarity, if you do not want any other support, C9200L come with base features of switch  with 90days warranty, is that clarify your question ?

Ordering information

C9200L-24T-4G-A

Catalyst 9200L 24-port Data 4x1G uplink Switch, Network Advantage

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-cat9200-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html#Licensing

BB

dan11
Level 1
Level 1

I gather you probably have your answer by now, but no you can not buy a 9200 switch without a DNA license

mwalsleben
Level 1
Level 1

When ordering any 9000 switch you can't do it without DNA subscription. But if you configure your switch to not use any addon-license you can dismiss the renew of this initial DNA subscription after the first period od 1/3/5 years.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: