cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 3.10.3 new feature for 9200/9300 on distributing Images!

nuno.santos
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please tell me how to avoid reload a switch on a distribution image job?

according new features on Prime 3.10.3 Release Notes, Activate OFF on only distributing image is not possible anymore. Now customers are asking how to prepare an Upgrade and distribute in advance a specific image without impact?

Thank you

Nuno  

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How many switches/stacks need to be upgraded?

doesnt matter. it depends on the upgrade needs of a specific customer. 1, 2, 10, 50 whatever. How can it be relevant to the limitation described before?

@nuno.santos wrote:
How can it be relevant to the limitation described before?

Very relevant. 

There are two commands to upgrade an 3650/3850/9300 switch in Install Mode.  The "not recommended by TAC":

request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.08.SPA.bin on-reboot 
new auto-copy verbose

Please observe the option "on-reboot".  This, by the way, is a bug (CSCve94966).  If this option was used, the switch/stack will NOT reboot.  

The 2nd command, "recommended by TAC", does not have this option (officially).  Once the command "install add file flash:filename activate commit" is used, the switch will reboot.  There is no option to schedule the reboot at a later date. 

And both PI and DNAC uses the 2nd command. 

Why is my question relevant?  Because if someone wants to upgrade a pile of switches and schedule the reboot at some distant time, I would be recommending upgrading the firmware manually (without DNAC or PI) and using the 1st command (not recommended by TAC).  

EDIT:  DNAC can be scheduled to push the the firmware and commit/activate at a future date.  

I'm insist independent on the number of the devices to be upgraded, me and customer are looking for a solution, using PI, if there is a possibility to only distribute an image without reload the device on that job, independent on the number of devices. This is brand new happening since PI version 3.10.3 and pointed as a new feature on Release Notes! I see a step back on product quality because it eliminates the possibility to pre-distribute the image without impact and prepare the device for the later upgrade on a specific time window. Unless there exist another way using PI to avoid this new behaviour. Maybe step back to the previous version 3.10.3 or start to position DNAC ...