Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP Entries

Wasantha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guyz,

I have configured RIPv2 in a router on PT, When i execute show ip route command ,the routing table shows  two exit interfaces to same destination. How could i solve this. Please Help me...  I have attached Screen shot with this.. 

6 Replies 6

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Here are two options. The first is using an "offset-list" which will raise or lower the metric in this case hop count and make the route less desirable from one of the interfaces. The second is a "distribute-list" where you could filter the route from one of the interfaces. 

offset-list {access-list-number | access-list-name} {in | out} offset [interface-type interface-number]

distribute-list {access-list-number | prefix prefix-list-name [gateway prefix-list-name]} in [interface-type interface-number]

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

One other option is the "maximum-paths" command. You can set this to "1" under the routing process and it will only accept one path per route. 

-Troy J.

Hi Troy,
Is this all Commands works in Packet Tracer.?

Hi Troy,

Thanx for your help. could you please tell me how to execute that command. I mean please can give me example. 

Thank You. 

Sorry for the delay. The above commands are not only Packet Tracer commands they are RIP commands. Here is an example below:

(If we want to add to the hop count from a neighbor's routes in on S0/1/0)

1. Create an ACL

access-list 1 permit 172.16.2.80 0.0.0.3

2. Add the "offset list" to the RIP process

router rip

version 2

network 172.16.0.0

offset-list 1 in 5 Serial 0/1/0  <---- **This will add 5 hops to the count coming in on S0/1/0**

3. The route will now show in one direction "S0/0/1". 

-Troy J.

Hi Troy,

Thank you for you Help,
I have try this But unable to create the offset list, I'm using Cisco 1941 Router. I have attached a scree shot about the error.